Ch154 - According to plan

"That's him?!" I asked shocked as I pointed at Gerrit "I mean yes I remember seeing him walk down the street but the thought the he could be a killer never arose in me!" I continued.

"Nothing is confirmed yet." Jones commented next to me "But it's not looking good for him."

"So you admit that you've given the couple in question a loan?"

"For the last time, no!" Gerrit sighed.

"What about the whereabouts of the 5k?"

I laughed inwardly as I heard him struggle with the numerous questions being fired at him. Knowing that I had not once changed my expression from horrified, I turned around to face the cops.

"Are you absolutely sure it was him?" Jones asked to verify my statement. "You do realize how serious your word will be taken, right?"

I'm counting on it.

I nodded. "I remember him because he reminded me of someone." I lied smoothly as I gave him one last glance.

"Who did he remind you of?" Jones pursued with a hint of interest clear in his voice "If you don't mind me asking."

I shrugged "My dad. It's just something in the way he walked." I said with a supposedly distant stare.

"That's enough for now." Mr Stilinski nodded and placed his hand on my shoulder, guiding me away from the others with a polite nod. "You okay?" he asked when we were out of hearing distance.

I nodded and gave him a small smile "You've caught him."

"I need to talk to you." he said while subtly glancing over his shoulder, "are things still going to plan? You seemed to be caught off guard when we picked you up earlier."

"Can you drive me back to Derek's place?" I asked while keeping my eyes on the others.

He nodded and told me to wait. A few cops tried to make a bit of small talk but I kept relying that I was just tired. After some time Mr Stilinski came back to get me and guided me to the police car.

Once we left the building I began to explain. "The person you're holding right now is the boss of the bunch of guys I told you about. He's responsible for the death you're investigating."

"Hold on a second," Mr Stilinski said after a while of processing. "You mean we already got the guy?"

"Yup." I answered while popping the 'p'. "I can only help you so far though. He usually uses people for his dirty work so it'd be hard to track down his murders."

"What about his gang? They're still out there, right?"

I nodded "Yeah but don't worry about them. I know how their system works and they'll disperse when they find out that their leader is gone."

"I don't believe that." Mr Stilinski argued while glancing over to me before returning his eyes on the road "There's always someone who wants revenge."

"It's not their style. Besides, they have no clue who got him arrested. They're fond of keeping a low profile so it's not like they'll attack the police. Trust me, it's safe."

"Still, we should arrest them. They've got blood on their hands as well."

"You shouldn't." I argued "All of them are terrified of what Gerrit can do. They've done nothing wrong. The only crimes they might've committed were out of fear of getting killed. It's Gerrit you want. And it's Gerrit you already have."

I heard Mr Stilinski groan uncomfortably at the thought of letting criminals get away but he ended up agreeing. It's not like he had a choice since I wasn't going to give up their location anyway. I would've simply lied that I didn't know their base if he'd forced me to say something.

The ride was mostly quiet. Mr Stilinski apologized for his colleague because he'd brought up my father. I obviously waved it off by saying that it was fine and that he couldn't have known.

"So how was the trip to the police station?" Derek spat when I walked in.

"I'm sorry-"

"You're clearly not since you keep doing the same thing." Derek interrupted with his arms crossed and a disappointed look in his eyes.

"I wanted to tell you but it had to look believable." I answered while slowly making my way over to him.

"You don't think that I can act like nothing is wrong after a life of knowing that werewolves exist but being forbidden to talk about it?"

"I do trust you! It's just that we had to fool the cops. And they're kind of trained in detecting lies and all." I mumbled.

"Still, you could've trusted me."

He finally opened his arms and let me in for a hug. As he closed his arms around me, I looked up and asked: "So, do you want to hear the rest of the plan?"

"Do you really have to ask?"