Chapter 22

This moment when you played the newest Archon Quest and have genuinely no clue what to do with one character now (in connection with this book). Explaining who and why would go into spoiler territory so I won't do it, but why mihoyo. Just why.

'It looks like we hurried here for nothing

'It looks like we hurried here for nothing. Is it common for a Funeral Director to work that long?'

'It depends on the request she is working on. If the client works far enough from here and has specific wishes concerning the funeral, a job can take up to a week.'

You sigh. 'That's a lot.'

Zhongli leaves his place behind you and goes to his desk to look for any new letter or document. It appears that he found something as he puts a fancy-looking piece of paper in one of his pockets. 'Sometimes it is inevitable in this job. Since she isn't here, shall I take you to your own home?'

'That's... not possible. I am not from Liyue - I am a traveler from afar. Otherwise I wouldn’t struggle so much to find my friend.'

'And if you leave me I have the feeling that I'll be dead meat in no time...'

The Archon closes his eyes to think of a solution for the problem. 'As you are one of Hu Tao's friend's I guess that allowing you to stay here for the night should be alright, if that is fine for you.'

'I don't have that many options anyways, so yes, but make sure to fetch me tomorrow.'

'Insisting on you staying at my side would be hella weird. I'll just have to pray that it is safe here.'

Zhongli nods and takes you upstairs. Having brought you to your temporary bedroom he wishes you goodbye and leaves.

'Now I have some time for myself. When was the last time I was complete alone? In this world there is always somebody around. Strange if I think about it. I can't even enjoy it because of my paranoia of being caught... What if the Fatui marsh in while I am sleeping? Maybe I should hide somewhere just to make sure.'

After some search you find a narrow space which would function well as a hiding spot. You put the wheelchair neatly in a distant corner so that it doesn't arouse suspicion and crawl into absolute darkness. Despite it being highly uncomfortable you fall asleep quickly.

'Don't you think that the sky looks beautiful today?', somebody next to you asks with a distorted voice.

And indeed the sky does look charming due to the few birds that fly in the endless sea of warn colors that are the result of the sunset. You yourself are laying on grass that has the pleasant smell of flowers. You try to face the person next to you but are unable to do so because your body is like glued to the ground.

'Why can't I move?'

'Maybe one day we can fly like those birds. Just the two of us without anyone interfering...', the person completely ignores your question.

'Wouldn't that be lonely?'

'Not as long as you're around.'

'But I can't just leave my friends behind.'

'What friends? You don't have any beside me.'

The words ring in your head and your chest starts to increasingly hurt. Your vision becomes blurry. The person ignores your pain too and hugs you.

'Shh, it's fine.'

Suddenly your body falls apart and turns into an unrecognizable puddle.

'(Y/N)? No... Nononono... (Y/N)! Please don't! (Y/N)!'

'(Y/N)?', a gentle voice wakes you up.

'(Y/N) are you still here?'

'Ah, that's Zhongli. Damn did I sleep tight. I didn't even notice that he entered this room...'

You crawl out of the cramped hiding spot. 'Yep, here I am.'

Zhongli stares at you with a confused look expression on his face. 'What were you doing there?'

'I... had a bad dream and then I didn't feel all that safe anymore, so I hid myself here. I know that that sounds silly, but a sleepy mind is not the most logical one.', you half-lie as it is only the order that differs form reality.

'I see. I don't believe that it is silly. I have heard that some dreams can foresee the future, so it is a reasonable reaction. Anyways, the reason why I came here so early is that I wanted to tell you that Ican't spend time with you today as I have a meeting this morning.' The Archon helps you to sit down in a chair.

'A meeting... Wasn't the first time Zhongli met Aether during a some sort of meeting arranged by Childe?'

'What kind of meeting?'

'A business meeting with someone I don't want you to get associated with.'

You look him directly in his eyes with curiosity. 'Why not?'

'Angelic people like you shouldn't have to face dangerous people like them.'

'That suspiciously sounds like you're meeting with Childe.'

'And there is no way for you to change your opinion?'

'No. Just stay here in the meantime. I'll get going now and pick you up later.', the dark-haired man does as he says and closes the door behind him.

'Like if that's going to stop me...', you mumble and try to stand up with success. '...because these legs accepted me as their owner again! They still shake but it is enough to keep up with you.'

Being as inconspicuous as possible you follow Zhongli to what you assume is the place he and the Harbinger are supposed to meet. There you are, observing he expensive door behind which your chance to rejoin the main story is. With caution you open the door and see... only two males. Aether is missing.

'And you are?'

I hope you enjoyed reading and stay healthy!