Chapter 70

Who else is exited for Fontaine?

“Why am I always deciding things on whim again?” Out of breath, you lean against a tree

“Why am I always deciding things on whim again?” Out of breath, you lean against a tree. “I feel worse than when I woke up. Shouldn’t I get better with time?” Sighing, you stumble on. “Whatever. I can… rest later…”

With your body getting heavier with every step, this walk isn’t as pleasantly-simple as you wished it would be, but it is still manageable. At the very least your headache got better. Since you want to avoid the discussion with Diluc about why you randomly ran away, you chose to walk an off-road path. This doesn‘t make it particularly easier for you, but just thinking about Diluc’s thick-headedness makes the extra mile worth it. He (probably) doesn’t have ill intentions, yet the entire ‘reunion-date’ with Kaeya already took you longer than you originally planned. Therefore, a few more days of recovering are not on your menu this week.

”I wonder what Dain and Rosa are doing… Are they searching or patiently waiting for me?” Not paying attention at where you are stepping, your foot misses the solid ground altogether and causes you to fall down the slope right next to you. Out of reflex you put your arms in front of your face to protect it from greater harm. Suddenly, a strong gust of wind catches you and prevents you from hitting the ground. Not only that – it also keeps you afloat for so long that you can properly position yourself to land back on your two feet.

“My little dove, I don’t believe you have learned how to fly yet~” A small chuckle follows. Looking towards the direction where the voice came from, you see a familiar boy with dark braided hair which ends in an aqua-green color that matches his eyes.

“Venti…”

“The one and only. Missed me~?” With a bright smile he walks towards you.

You smile back at him. “Well, we haven’t seen each other for a really long time. Thank you for saving me.”

“So, where are you heading with such shaky legs?”

“To the City of Mondstadt. …Without wanting to sound rude – I heard that you have a favoritism for alcoholic drinks, or? Do you happen to know any remedy against a hangover?”

Venti scratches his head awkwardly. “Generally speaking, I do know something that helps, but don’t think that a hangover is your main problem right now… If you want to, I can still help you with getting to the city though.” He moves to your left side and puts your arm on his shoulder so that you can use him as a support.

“That’s nice of you, but I don’t want to waste your time-“

“Oh, come on! You are not wasting my time. You are my friend!” He starts to walk, dragging you with him.

Once you take a look at his face, you see nothing more than pure joy. Well, if he is so happy to help you, you can’t really say anything against it… In some sense he reminds you of a sweet and cuddly cat, delighted to be next to its owner.

Venti stays quiet for the entire walk and so do you. Only the humming of a gentle tune can be heard from the bard. Odd, you think - you expected him to be just as curious as Kaeya about what you have been doing since the last he saw you. Perhaps he is just mindful of your weakened state and doesn’t want to bother you any further. You appreciate it.

Something you don’t notice are the constant glances from Venti when you aren’t looking, but who cares. If you don’t know about something, you can’t be bothered about it.

Yet, the more or less relaxing atmosphere disappears in an instant. “Would you get your hands off them?”  Dainsleif appears to have been searching for you as well and doesn’t look happy the slightest.

Venti tenses up a bit underneath you but doesn’t move away yet. “I am only helping them after they got poisoned, no need to react so explosive. You look like a pair of Pyro and Electro Slimes that are seconds away from colliding.”

If looks could kill, Venti would be pulverized into little oxygen-molecules by now. Dain didn’t seem fond of Kaeya’s flirty attitude, but this is hatred in its purest form, almost bursting out of its fleshy container. “If they need help, it isn’t from you. You are probably the reason they need the help in the first place. Poisoning them so that you can cling harder to them-”

“But Venti didn’t do anythi-“

Dain isn’t having this conversation with you. “Do you really want them to cry hot tears and make them feel miserable?”

Only now does Venti’s smile drop. “But they aren’t-“

“What didn’t happen yet, can always do so in the future, can’t they. So back off.”

Nope, you certainly don’t want to be at the receiving end of Dain’s hatred. You doubt it is fear that makes Venti listen - considering that he is an Archon - but he lets go of you nevertheless. For whatever reason, he seems to feel… guilty. He didn’t do anything, did he? So why is there a need to feel this way?

Dainsleif approaches you and takes you by your hand. He wants to start moving away, but stops himself from doing so. “Can you still walk by yourself?”

“Walk yes, run no… I-“ You wish to say something to defend Venti, but nothing comes out of your mouth. Something about this situation suffocates you from inside. Rosa, who has been sitting on Dainsleif’s shoulders till now, rolls down into your arms.

Not asking any further questions, your cursed friend starts to walk with a semi-fast pace.

Venti on the other hand remains where he stood. A chuckle can be heard. “You know, this look in your eyes reminds me of someone. If you continue like this, you might just become the very same thing you want to protect them from.”

Dain squeezes your hand a bit tighter, but otherwise doesn’t react.

You take one last glance back at the bard. His sentimental-ish expression has turned into a spiteful and sinister one. Chills run through your spine and you quickly turn your head in a different direction. Squeezing Rosa tightly to your heart, you want to get rid of this uncanny feeling, but without success.

Update on my cat (again): He had to go to the vet a second time because his forhead got inflamed again

Update on my cat (again): He had to go to the vet a second time because his forhead got inflamed again. They operated him to properly clean everything and while they were at it they also removed his balls. I hope that's it now...

I hope you enjoyed reading and stay healthy!