Chapter 35

Important note:
It might be that I won't be updating until the end of January. My last major exams are coming up so I don't have that much time to write. (It could still be that I update though - this is just an explanation if you don't hear anything from me for a month.)

'Visit your workplace?! That's the stupidest idea Paimon has ever heard!'

You nod. 'I agree to that wholeheartedly.'

'Whyyy? Isn't big brother the greatest toymaker in Teyvat? So why should there be a problem?', Teucer whines and pulls at your sleeve.

First, you look at the young boy with puppy eyes and then at his older brother with an equally innocent smile. 'That's... No, of course not. As long as I get an uniform that prevents anybody from recognizing me and as long as I don't have to work, everything's fine.' You step closer to Childe so that Teucer can't hear the content of your whispers. 'Playing that card won't work forever. I do have a hard time saying no to children, but I too have a limit to my patience. And I am not going to join the Fatui or something, got it?'

'I am happy enough that it worked this time. The uniform is on the bed in the guestroom. You should go right away so that we can leave in time.'

'But we're not even finished with...' Looking back at the table you see to your surprise that all the plates are already emptied. 'When did we eat all that..? Eh, doesn't matter now. Paimon, Rosa, you come with me.'

Having closed the door to the guest room behind you, you focus on the two small floating figures. 'I know that agreeing to his proposal is stupid, but apparently I woke up today with not just a way too good mood, but also with a willingness to take high risks. Anyways, Paimon, you probably should get back to Aether, so that we have an equally devided group. I can't tell you where he is exactly right now, but his overall goal should be the Jade Chamber.'

'...And how is Paimon supposed to get up there?!'

'You just have to get to... what is that place called again...' You look around to see if there is a map laying around somewhere. On the ground you discover what you're looking for. Showing Paimon the map, you point at a particular place. 'If you wait there, Aether should come around eventually. And Rosa, you will stay with me and hide in that uniform that I am supposed to wear.'

Paimon nods and Rosa salutes proudly.

'Now to that pile of clothes...' You take the jacket and hold in front of you to see it better. The dark coat is heavy due to how well it is lined. 'That's what those Pyro Fatui Skirmishers wear. How am I supposed not to die from heat in this thing? As if we're going to Snezhnaya.'

Having changed into the uniform, you observe yourself in the mirror. The hat and the whit mask perfectly cover your head while the other clothes hide your figure. 'Did Childe plan this from the beginning or has he always an uniform that coincidentally matches my size laying around? Rosa, you can hide under my hat if that's okay for you.'

Directly after you've said that, Rosa slithers under the hat without lifting it up.

'When god invented physics you clearly weren't there...'

Someone knocks on your door. '(Y/N), finished yet?'

'Yes, coming.'

You step outside and are directly greeted by the brothers. 'Mh, as long as you don't talk nobody will be able to recognize you.'

Teucer tilts his head with confusion. 'But why should (Y/N) have to hide their identity? Aren't they a friend of the best toymaker in Teyvat?'

Before you can open your mouth, Childe starts explaining. 'Because our steps of fabricating toys is a well-hidden business secret and nobody really likes to see an outsider walking inside the building. I am simply doing an exception because they are my dearest friend. Now let's get going!'

Together, you all get going, except for Paimon who sneaked away right at the beginning to search for the Traveler. Childe walks hand in hand with his brother while you walk a few steps behind them since it would be strange for a normal Skirmisher to be that disrespectfully close to an Harbinger.

On the way to your destination, you cross paths with Zhongli who appears to be searching for you. Not giving you any chance to reveal your identity, Childe assures the Archon that you went after Aether who left some time ago. Zhongli thanks him anyway and leaves with a somewhat bothered look on his face.

Having arrived inside the Northland Bank, you observe your luxurious surroundings. 'Man, every time I enter a building that has something to do with the Fatui I immediately get the feeling that they are trying hard to show-off. How can Teucer even believe the toymaker-part? Nothing in here screams toy or anything remotely close...'

'Soldier, you come with me.', Childe's voice interrupts your thoughts. The male is walking down some hallway by himself and signals you with his hands to follow him. You look around to see where his brother went and you find him in the care of some other Fatui members. With hasty steps you follow the Harbinger.

He stops in front of a door that is no different from the other ones you passed. 'You wait here. I'll get a small package and then we can leave this place. Don't runoff or cause any trouble in the meantime.'

Just as one Harbinger enters the room, another one leaves it. And of course, out of all possible people, it has to be the lightning-gnome. He radiates an even more angered aura than the last time you píssed him off. Luckily, your disguise is good enough to hide your identity from him too, so he simply passes you without giving you a single glance. Your tense body relaxes again. 'That could have gone wrong if my face hadn't been completely covered...'

Not long after that, Childe comes back with a package in his hands. 'Good to see that the Balladeer didn't rip your head off. Now, hop hop. We have a tight time schedule ahead of us.'

I hope you enjoyed reading and stay healthy!