Chapter 87

The floor underneath you is hard and cold

The floor underneath you is hard and cold. You want to look around to figure out where you are, but you force yourself to remain still. As long as he thinks that you are unconscious you are (probably) going to be left in peace. If you already had to pass out while being kidnapped, then it should at least give you some sort of benefit.

Somewhere in this room you can hear metal and glass clinking. Is Dottore moving things around? It's hard to tell. You honestly still have no idea why that Harbinger took you with him. Whatever his reason might be, it can't be good.

Other topic: When did Dottore get such a glow-up? As far as you can remember, he looked a lot goofier in the manga. He must have gotten a redesign or something after you disappeared from your own world. You wonder how many people started thirsting over him because of it... Okay, no. (Y/N), this is absolutely not a topic you should be thinking about now. Even if he's hot, your well-being is currently at his non-existent mercy. If he is going to use you as one of his experiments you might as well burry yourself in advance. Suffocation is probably more pleasant than being with him and then the earthworms would have something to eat, too...

"Welcome back to the realm of the living." It's Dottore's voice. It cuts through the quietness like a sharp blade.

Not certain if he was talking to you or someone else, you remain silent.

"Playing dead won't bring you far. Your breathing pattern has changed three minutes ago, so no need to pretend."

Admitting defeat, you sit up straight and finally open up your eyes. Now you can say for certain: Seeing your surroundings doesn't reassure you the slightest. You yourself are in a medium-sized metal cage which is sitting next to a metal wall of a room that can be best described as the laboratory of a sketchy scientist. On the opposite side of this room is Dottore working at a desk with his back facing you. Between you and him, in the center of this room, there is an operation table. The premise of possibly having to lay on top of it makes you nauseous. "Is this... your lab...?"

"Temporarily, yes." He doesn't elaborate any further, so the laboratory falls back to its previous silence. Maybe it's for the better. Talking with Dottore for a longer period of time can't be good for ones sanity. That time is better spent with a more thorough observation of this room. The exit is to your left-hand side of the room. Even if it isn't locked, it still doesn't seem suitable for an emergency escape as it looks pretty massive. You can't detect any vents either, so this is going to be rough.

The clinking of things being moved stops and is replaced by the sound of steps. Before you know it, Dottore stands in front of your cage. Due to your little prison having a non-see-through top, you can't see the upper part of his body, but you are certain that he is grinning from ear to ear. You expect him to say something, open the cage to dissect you on the operation table or anything equally gruesome, yet nothing happens. He is just standing in front of you, doing absolutely nothing. After what felt like an eternity, he finally goes away and you let out a breath you didn't know you were holding. What was that...? Was he testing you or...?

To your demise, the doctor returns shortly after and this time he is quick to open the cage and grab you by the nape of your neck. Not having the chance to properly fight back, you can only whine as he straps you to the operation table. Above you is a big lamp which you didn't notice before. Now it is hard to overlook it since he turned it on, letting its white light burn into your eyes. This is exactly what you expected but it is frightening beyond comprehension nevertheless. The straps are preventing you from moving even an inch and the rising panic makes it hard to breath.

Meanwhile, Dottore stands next to you, silently observing you. At least that's what you think he's doing as it isn't easy to tell where he is looking with that mask covering most of his face. "I thought you were a bit more bark than this. Cat got your tongue?"

"Wh-what?" What was he expecting? Maybe you would be more talkative if he brought you over to a tea party instead of this - probably very painful - event.

"You know, he mentioned you a few times. How delicate your body is and how you just couldn't keep your mouth shut no matter how well you knew the consequences. I was hoping to see some of that spirit."

"With he, do you mean..."

"Yes, the Balladeer. You should know him rather well by now. The only other Harbinger you are acquainted with is Childe, right? I have barely ever spoken to him, but I am certain he would be equally thrilled to see you again." Dottore chuckles.

"See me again? Does that mean that-"

"That Scaramouche is here in Sumeru, yes. Once I am done with you, you will be sent to your dearest master."

You honestly don't know if those are good news or not. Ignoring your fear, you open your mouth to speak. "What reason do you have to bring me here?"

"There is something that I am curious about." He taps the metallic table next to your head. "And that is your existence as a whole."

"Sorry, I can't really follow you..."

"You should feel honored. There were very few people - or topics in general - for which I had such a burning interest."

Is that supposed to flatter you or concern you? It certainly feels more like the later one. "...I am not really an interesting person. I am just some dumb basic nobody with a talent to run into trouble. You shouldn't waste your precious time on me..."

Dottore walks over to his desk and takes a syringe filled with a suspicious substance. "I believe it is my duty to make a picture of that myself." Positioning the needle above a vein in your left arm, he flashes you a wide grin. "This might hurt a li- No, what am I saying. This will hurt a lot."

Happy times with Dottore incoming :)

I hope you enjoyed reading and stay healthy!