Chapter 29

The tension in the air is suffocating you

The tension in the air is suffocating you. 'I mean- ...well... I don't really know where to start... I'm sorry.'

'Keep yourself together (Y/N). I mean yes, it isn't all that favorable that you can't keep your mouth shut for long enough, but it's not like you're not accustomed to lying at this point. One lie more or less won't make a difference.'

Zhongli's calm state contrasts your nervousness. 'You could start with either the reason why you have a greater knowledge about the situation in Liyue or what knowledge you have in the first place.'

'...The later one then. I know who you actually are, what the deal with the Rite of Descension is, what the Fatui have to do with all of this and how things are most likely going to play out.', you mumble while staring at the ground.

'With who I am you mean...'

'Yes, the Rex Lapis-part.'

The Archon sighs. 'Since when?'

'Even before we met for the first time. I know a tad to much in general. Not only about the chaos here. The best way to describe it would be prophetic dreams, maybe?'

'Why would you go to such lenghts just to cover that fact? Such ability is a rare one for sure, but it isn't something to be kept hidden no matter what.'

You point at your legs. 'That's the reason why. Just imagine what kind of advantage my knowledge can be. Therefore, could you do me the favor of not telling anyone about it? Aether is fine, everyone else not. One Harbinger searching for me is enough.'

'Of c-...' Zhongli stops and looks you in the eyes for a moment. 'Under two conditions. Firstly, you aren't allowed to lie to me any further. Lies that have ben already told have to be clarified as such and corrected. Secondly, you aren't allowed to betray me in any way.'

Being confused you tilt your head. '...I see... What else to expect from the God of Contracts? The first condition is comprehensible after how I acted up until now. What do you mean with last part though? Like what is the definition of betrayal for you and why would you want to ensure that?'

'In this context I consider everything as a betrayal that damages the relationship I have with somebody else. For example broken promises count as that. As for the question why, it is not that I don't trust you. It is simply that I want the contract to be fair.', Zhongli states with a neutral face.

'This is... far from fair. The only thing you have to do is not to speak about my ability. That shouldn't be all that hard. I on the other hand have to do by far much more.', you whine.

'Even if keeping silent doesn't require me much effort, it is something crucial for you, isn't it? Personal value counts in too.'

'This is essentially blackmail! ...Since when is Zhongli the type to do something like that? There are many people here who I could easily imagine doing that, but Zhongli, who had or still has a good relationship with me? I somehow have the feeling that I have the talent of bringing out the worst in people...'

You sigh frustrated. 'Fine. It's not like I have much choice.'

A gentle smile returns to the god's lips. 'Therefore the agreement between the two of us is official. I apologize for putting such pressure on you, but I have the feeling that you are the type of person who unnecessarily burdens themselves with secrets. I am simply worried for you. Based on my experience, such behavior rarely ends well.'

'Oh believe me, I will burry myself with my secrets. There is no reason to tell you the whole truth if you can't prove that I am lying.'

Smiling you shake your head. 'Nah, I think you're a bit over...protective? That's the right word I think. It isn't as bad as you believe it is. There are no more lies left, so you don't have to worry too much.'

'If there are no more lies left, how about adding some more truth? Like from where you got your ability, why a Seelie is following you around and why you are so keen on traveling with Aether in the first place.'

'That are allot of questions.' You take Rosa down from your head and place it down in your lap. 'As for the first two questions: I have absolutely no clue. This pink ball and the ability where there as far as I can remember. And about the traveling thing... Well, I am traveling anyways, so why not with someone who is in the center of everything? I want to see him and his sister reunited at the end.'

'You know her?'

'Not really. It's the same thing as with you. Though I think I know less about her than about you.', you shake your head.

From another room you hear Paimon talk to Aether who you assume has just woken up. You look at the clock on the wall next to you. 'Someone woke up earlier than he should. I will check after him, alright?'

Without waiting for an answer you head out of the kitchen, leaving Zhongli in what he considers the middle of an interesting conversation.

I hope you enjoyed reading and stay healthy!