Chapter 57

The amount of cringe I felt when simply spellchecking my old chapters. How did I not see those back then...?

You take a sip of your tea and look at the mesmerizing pond at your feet "Enkanonomiya

You take a sip of your tea and look at the mesmerizing pond at your feet "Enkanonomiya... I wonder if we will ever go there. Aether probably wouldn't want to unnecessarily go to a 'dangerous' place. Hmm..."

"Feeling better now?"

Looking up you see Gorou next to you. "Yes, a lot. I am not that much of a of paddling-and-running-for-my-life person. Sorry for having worried you."

Gorou smiles reassuringly. "Don't worry about it. I am just glad that you made it in one piece."

"Generally speaking,... If I get caught, will I get... executed or something like that?"

"I don't know what would happen - nobody does. As far as we know you are supposed to be captured alive but it is unclear what would happen after that. It is probably better when we don't have to find that out."

"Yeah... Even though I am curious what her reasoning is I am not interested in possibly dying in the end. Anyways, did anything new happen while I was asleep?" You take another sip.

"There were two smaller battles but no changes of our general situation. Ah, Kazuha and Beidou wanted me to tell you that they are sorry for hiding such large portions of the truth from you."

"...Only for that?" You eye the dog-boy suspiciously.

Gorou tilts his head which looks, on a sidenote, adorable. "No? Should they have apologized for something else too?"

Silence for a moment too long. "...No, just forget it." A small shudder overcomes you. "I think leaving that ship was one of my few good decisions. When they won't tell the truth even when there I no reason left not to then there really was something fishy going on. But no point in telling anybody - in the end there won't be a Kazuha to save Aether from Ei."

"If you say so..."

"Where is Aether right now?"

"He left with Swordfish II. That's the troop her Excellency assigned him. Since I don't know for what they left I can't tell you when he will return though."

"Swordfish II... Right. Has Kokomi some time right now? I have something urgent that needs to be discussed with her." You jump to your feet causing the previously sleeping Rosa to fall off your lap. With a gentler movement you pick up your friend and apologetically pet its head.

"Most likely yes. Do you want me to bring you to her?"

"Yes, that would be kind of you."

Half an hour has passed and a) you found Kokomi and b) you explained her what is worrying you.

"So, you want me to stop accepting help from the secret sponsor because you consider it too risky?"

"Yes, if I have learned one thing from traveling then it is that every human is a backsta- Is that when you don't know what kind of profit the other person has from their action, they are most likely scheming something. You don't know if that sponsor genuinely wants to support the Resistance or if they are supporting this chaos for their own profit."

It is visible that Kokomi understands your reasoning but is hesitant to accept nevertheless. "That is true, however the Resistance is in such an unfavorable situation that we really need that financial help. After all it isn't proven that the interest of that sponsor will do any harm to us or to Inazuma as a whole."

"I know that I am not in the position to give any type of recommendation but I have an extremely bad feeling about this, please. Some things aren't worth the risk." You put your hands together as if you are praying and look at Kokomi with pleading eyes.

She sighs. "You seem to be very serious about this... Alright, since you are the trusted friend of the Traveler I will take your words to heart and stop that cooperation immediately. I hope the war will soon come to a halt or else..."

"I am sure that the war will soon stop. Wherever Aether travels to, problems get solved eventually. Thank you for trusting me." You smile brightly. "Don't forget to tell your troupes that the cooperation is stopped too though."

Being under the impression that the life of Teppei and others are saved even without directly saying why you distrust that 'kind' stranger you return to a normal daily life. Not only can you spend some relaxing time with your best friends Aether, Paimon and Rosa but you also get to make some new friends. While Aether is away fighting with Swordfish II - something he forbid you to participate in - Gorou accompanies you. His honest and kind nature is a welcoming change for you and him showing you around the pastel-colored island is also nice - there aren't many chances to walk through such bizarrely colored flora after all.

At the third day of your stay on Watatsumi Island Kokomi started to open up to you some more too. She occasionally invited you over to read with her and even to swim once. Apparently you were promoted to the group of people who don't drain her of her energy and you are very pleased knowing that.

Beidou and Kazuha on the other hand didn't show up again. Perhaps because they didn't have the time or because they feared that their version of the recent events would get exposed as a lie. Whatever it is you aren't mad about it.

But as the sun has to set eventually, your peaceful times have to come to an end too. Opposing to what you expected to happen, the soldiers started to get sick just as in the original game. As it seems the Fatui still managed to deliver their goods to the soldiers.

Since you aren't particularly interested in facing any of the Fatui yourself, you told Kokomi that it would be smart to observe her troupes to see if they do anything out of the ordinary as there has to be a reason for their accelerated aging.

Now you are sitting near the beach waiting for Gorou and Aether to come back from their mission. You and Rosa have almost fallen asleep when you hear voices not too far from you.

Thinking that those voices belong to your friends and the troop they went away with you walk to the source of it. To your regret those voices only partially belong to soldiers of the resistance. The other part are Fatui agents. Quickly you hide behind a tree and observe the scene in a safe hiding spot.

One of the agents pulls an item out of a box and hands it to one of the soldiers. "Just as promised; the rest of the goods."

The soldier takes it. "Thank you. Those things have proven to be really useful in combat."

After having made a photo as a concrete proof you want to go back to the shrine and tell Kokomi about the problem but unfortunately the knife in your back is quicker. You fall forward to the ground and feel unable to move from the shock. From the corner of your eyes, you can see that your attacker is another Fatui agent. "Fúck..."

By now the others noticed you too and while the soldiers want to come to your rescue they are no match for the Fatui members.

As your world starts to get more and more blurry you can only faintly feel how you are picked up.

Does (Y/N) get barely a break? Maybe.
Do I feel guilty about it. No.
I mean this (Y/N) still has a pretty decent life in comparison to some others in this genre.

I hope you enjoyed reading and stay healthy!