Chapter 92

Reminder that the english version of chapter 91 is underneath the german one. Just in case someone scolled past it.

So far, this isn’t any worse than a standard visit to the doctor

So far, this isn’t any worse than a standard visit to the doctor. Just as he was told, Dottore is properly cleaning your wounds. Obviously, disinfectant isn’t pleasant on your damaged skin, but that is unavoidable regardless of what one does. Nevertheless, your body is as tense as a pig five minutes before slaughter. No matter how nice Dottore might want to seem like, you won’t trust him, ever.

“Have we grown quiet again?”

“…I simply don’t think there is anything productive I could contribute to this interaction.”

“Is that so? Here I thought you are too afraid to say anything that could potentially provoke me. You are so very stiff after all.” Dottore seems to be in a good mood, though you’re not sure if this is a good thing or not.

Not wanting to give him an elaborate answer, you breathe out a quiet ‘maybe’ and turn your head away.

For whatever reason, Dottore appears to be interested in talking with you. “How was your stay with the Balladeer?”

“It was okay…”

“Just okay? I thought you would take more enjoyment out of having a god by the leach. But if I think about it, it must be somewhat boring for you as it isn’t a novelty anymore.” What was he trying to get at? “Am I right?”

“No…? Why in the world would I want this? I am not putting gods or other people on a leach, if anything, it’s the other way around. The only thing I want at this point is a peaceful journey and apparently that’s too much to ask!” For a short moment you look back at the Doctor who is currently putting bandages on your left arm. Since he doesn’t have his mask on, his blood-red eyes can stare right back at you. A chill runs down your spine.

“Is that so?” Dottore sighs. “Ignorance must be a blessing.”

“Was that supposed to tell me something or…?”

“No, merely an observation. Don’t demand too much from your little head, it is apparently empty after all.”

“Exc-“ You stop yourself from talking any further. This man is only trying to provoke you and you really shouldn’t jump at it. By now, all of your extremities have fresh bandages on them. “Are we done…?”

“You can answer that question for yourself.”

Sighing - partly depressed partly frustrated – you let your shoulders drop. “What possibly is there left for you to research about me? You already did a ton of experiments on me and doing this for the sake of sadism is also nonsensical because with a different victim you could go way further since they don’t have to make it out alive.”

“You are mistaken about something.”

Not certain what to expect, you slightly tilt your head.

“There are plenty of things I want to find out about you, even now. Are you curious about which question of mine is itching to be answered right now?” Taking a scalpel into his hand, he positions it underneath your chin. “Will you be able to recover from a slashed throat, or are things not as simple as that?”

Barely having processed the information, you can already feel the sharp metal cutting through your skin. Immediately, your survival instincts kick in and you push the madman away from you. The cut he made is bleeding but it luckily doesn’t seem that deep so your fate shouldn’t be sealed yet. Having nothing to lose, you make a dash towards the door. Those few seconds which pass while you are still in the room, opening the heavy door, feel like minutes. Despite your poor physical state, you miraculously manage to make it out of the laboratory without being caught by the Doctor. Having one of the highest concentrations of adrenalin in your system you ever had in your life, you sprint in the opposite direction that would lead to Scaramouche. Nothing against the Balladeer in his current kind state, but if you already pull a stunt like this one, you might as well try to regain your freedom as a whole.

You run and run until you reach a floor that has a friendlier and less shady look to it. This must mean that you have made it out of the Fatui department of this building. Finally. The exit must be so very close. Just a few more steps and-

Your path crosses with someone. This someone is a white-haired man with a dark-purple hat which bears resemblance to those wolf-like statues you would find in Egypt. You remember him being part of a story trailer in your home world, so he must be one of the future-playable characters. He spots you as well and you are left with two choices: Try to run past him towards freedom or hope that he isn’t involved in this absolute mess and ask him to help you. Having found a sudden faith in humanity, you decide to go for the latter option.

The man eyes you skeptically up and down and stops at your throat. Automatically your eyes wander there too. …Oh, that little cut has bled quite a lot. No wonder you are feeling so light-headed.

“Please, help me. Somebody wants to kill me. I didn’t do anything to deserve this…” Your plea comes out like a pathetic cry. “I am begging you… I don’t want to die away from my family and friends like this...”

I hope you enjoyed reading and stay healthy!