Chapter 90

It is lunch time

It is lunch time. Or was it dinner? You already forgot. That’s not even the important thing right now. This niceness the fandango-boy's displaying is. Now that you have come down from those overly-strong painkillers and have a clear mind, this situation is weirding you out. Sure, a friendly Scaramouche is better than an angry one, but it is still bizarre to you. Just to give an example, you originally got miso soup, fried chicken, rice and a salad to eat and when you asked for a completely different meal, he ordered exactly that. No complaint, no threats, no nothing. Either did he learn patience since your last encounter or this bigger body of his can distribute his anger-issues more evenly. Somehow, the second option sounds more logical.

“Do you like this one more?”, Scaramouche’s voice interrupts your thoughts.

“Y-yeah…” To talk less you take another bite of your meal.

“Glad to hear that.” There it is again. This patronizing and almost sweet undertone that makes your flesh crawl. Scaramouche is trying really hard to be nice. What point is there to this façade if you already know what monster hides underneath the mask?

Once you are done with your meal, some servants come and get the dirty dishes while Scaramouche picks you up and puts you back into his large palm. This is more comfortable than the hard floor, but you still haven’t got used to this gigantic version of the Balladeer. “Can I ask you something?”

“Sure.”

“Why do you look like this now?”

“Don’t you too think that this form is more suitable for the divine? In contrast to this my former self was flawed and unfitting.”

This statement sounded kinda… sad. “…I don’t know… I think your former body was fine as it was.” You are not lying. Not only do all gods look quite human-like, he also had a pretty face. Of course, the pretty face does not make up for the ugliness inside.

“Y- It doesn’t matter what you think. Neither do I agree with you nor can I go back anyways.”

“…Did you dispose your old form?”

“…No, I didn’t. It is inside of this robot.”

So the robot is merely something like an extension for the real Scaramouche. “Could I maybe… see... you?” You honestly don’t know what drives you to continue this conversation. You already got the answer you were looking for. The puppet is aiming to become a god, hence why he probably called you a believer earlier. The whole mess in Sumeru is circling around this Fatui-made problem.

“Fine, since it is my dearest puppy who is asking.” The hand that is holding you lifts you higher up to his head. There, the blank face opens up, revealing the Scaramouche you know. He is floating - or rather hanging – in darkness with multiple tubes attached to him. You can’t imagine that is even remotely pleasant for him.

“What’s with that look on your face?”

Your concern must be showing though. “Is this really-“ Biting your lip, you stop mid-sentence. Should you really ask this? You shouldn’t be displaying any signs of care for your kidnapper. …Okay (Y/N), you aren’t asking because you have suffered mental damage from all of this, but because you are a good human being… That’s right... “Is this really what you want?”

“What do you mean by that?”

“Is becoming a god – especially like this – really what you yourself wish for? I don’t want to offend you or anything, but I somehow get the feeling that you are simply trying to prove yourself against your past…”

Based on his expression you have entered sensitive territory. “What do you know about me?”

“I mean, yeah, it is a bit arrogant of me to say that I understand you and yet I get the strong impression that this path you’re on isn’t the one you would want for yourself.”

If Scaramouche wasn’t fixed by all those tubes he probably would have punched you by now. “You think so? It must be so easy for someone who knows shít about themselves to make assumptions about others. Let me tell you something: You know nothing about me. I was tossed aside by humans and gods alike. Both are vile traitors. Maybe you’re right about me wanting to prove something, but I do all of this because I want to do this. I will make them regret their existence. So stop looking at me with that pity in your puppy eyes!” No longer can he mask his pain with anger and he knows this. His wounded heart is sitting on a display.

Listening to him, a thought crosses your mind. A dog is loyal, obedient and would never think about betraying its master. To Scaramouche your capture has long transcended any practical reasons. Through you he is trying to fill up the hole abandonment has left in his heart in the past. Heh, a puppy… This took you long enough to realize. It only took you three kidnappings and a parallel to him wanting to become god…

“What are you doing?!”

Apparently you subconsciously reached out for him and are now reassuringly petting his shoulder. Well, there is no turning back now. Maybe there's a way to solve this whole mess peacefully. “I think that you are enough - god or not. You are perfect in your own right. The people you met in the past were fools not to acknowledge that. So, I therefore believe that it is never too late to make things ri-“

Laughter that becomes more hysteric with each passing second interrupts you at the most important part. “Fools… Ha! That’s right – they are nothing more than pathetic fools!” Since you are standing closer to him than at the beginning, he now is able reach you and cups your face in his delicate hands. The look he is giving you is an uncanny mixture of both adoration and mania. Perhaps you should have phrased your words a bit differently because it seems like he came to a completely wrong conclusion here… “You really are unmistakably (Y/N), a diamond most tend to mistake for a quartz. My diamond. My puppy. My believer. And you will stay with me till the end of time! Even if your mind will go astray, I will just put you back into the place you belong. You won’t escape my divine grasp, I will make sure of it.”

Yes, he absolutely lost it.

:)))

I hope you enjoyed reading and stay healthy!