Chapter 81

To the forest ranger, this is a truly bizarre sight

To the forest ranger, this is a truly bizarre sight. Around an objectively unremarkable person gather – by now more than just two – fungi and despite their normally aggressive nature they peacefully hop around you and let themselves get pet by you. Maybe you are some special-evolved type of fungi? No, that can’t be it. Nature’s wonders are great, but not that great.

Happily like a puppy expecting a treat, you look at Tighnari. “Can I keep them?”

He in return only shakes his head. “No, certainly not. For the sake of the village – and probably for the sake of Aether too – you will not keep this army of fungi. Who knows when they might become hostile again.” Carefully he approaches you and your little mushroom family and tries to pet one of the purple fungi. It immediately sends sparks of electricity towards the fox boy, proving his point. “See? Just because they like you, it doesn’t men they like others as well.”

“But- but how about just one? One isn’t much of a treat and-“

“(Y/N). No. Not twenty, not one, not even a half. You are not going to adopt a-“, Tighnari pauses for a moment, something having seemingly crossed his mind. A smile creeps on his lips. “Actually, it might not be such a bad idea. I have never seen such friendly fungi in my entire life here and it would be a waste to let this chance to find out the reason behind it just pass like that. Still, I suppose it would be too dangerous to take them into Gandharva Ville. We need to make a safe place for them to stay close by, like an enclosure. That way we can watch them without posing a threat to others…”

“That means I can keep them?”

“Yes. Now come and let’s go back. We need to build a functioning enclosure before it gets dark.”

Together with your newfound hoard of living mushrooms you and the forest ranger get on your way back to the village. Having almost reached it, Tighnari leaves you on a free nearby hill to grab the necessary materials from the village. After some time he comes back with his arms full of metallic ropes and explains to you how they have to be tied so that they are escape-proof for fungi. Having explained everything, you two start building the fungi’s new home.

It takes you a while but in the end you do manage to build the enclosure before the sun has completely disappeared from the sky. Oddly enough, the fungi started helping as well at some point. A bizarre sight to see ‘prisoners’ voluntarily help to build their own prison, but you shouldn’t question the ways of nature. At least the enclosure looks now extra pretty with all the plants the fungi have plated in it.

Having the current time in mind, you and Tighnari decide to call it a day. To wish the mushroom monsters a good night, you go into their enclosure one last time and give each one of them a proper head pat. All of them gleam with satisfaction. Once you are finished you go back outside where the fox boy is waiting for you. Instead of immediately going to the village, he seemingly waits for something with his head tilted. The tip of his tail flicks slowly behind his back while he stares at you.

Confused, you tilt your head in a similar manner as him. “Tighnari? Is something wrong?”

“I was just wondering… If the fungi get head pats as a gesture of goodbye, will I also get some? Now that the day has come to an end.”

You honestly don’t know what surprises you more in this moment: The boldness of his words or the fact that he can say it with a perfectly straight face. No, you shouldn’t be surprised at either of those things – this is Tighnari you’re talking to. You might have not witnessed him acting even remotely similar around others, but around you he loves to be a tease. Nevertheless you can help but turn around to hide your blush. “Nope, nope. Absolutely not!” Not wanting to be a part of this embarrassing conversation, you start walking away, but already stop a few steps later. Tighnari’s main goal is (probably) to see you embarrassed. If you walk away now, you’re going to do exactly what he wants. That’s why turn back towards him and approach him with an innocent smile. “You’re right, how rude of me. Here you go~” Still smiling and blushing you pet Tighnari’s head and - while you’re at it – also his ears. They are just as petable as they look like. Finally you can touch them without being extremely weird about it.

While you are enjoying yourself, the fox boy’s pupils widen. He opens his mouth to say something, but you have already removed your hand.

“Happy now? So back to where we were before: Have a good night – this time really.” You leave with quick steps, not wanting to give Tighnari a chance to have the last word.

Once you are out of sight, the forest ranger lets out a deep sigh and covers his face with his right hand. “God.” When he removes it, a tomato-red face is revealed. “Ha… Who would have thought that I would ever fall so hard so fast… What an interesting development. But the unfavorable position in comparison to the Traveler will most likely prevent any further development from here on out… Oh well, you have to make the best out of the cards you are given.” He looks back to the fungi in their enclosure. “Will you help me?”

Bringing the narration back to your position, you have just arrived at Aether’s hut. Inside you are greeted by a sleeping Aether. Rosa and Paimon too have fallen asleep next to each other. You hope that they didn’t wait for you to come back. Who are you kidding? Aether at the very least certainly did. In case that he is mad you will have to apologize to him tomorrow for going away with Tighnari… On the other hand Aether can't really expect you to avoid human contact with essentially everyone besides him just beacause he considers them as 'unsafe'... Anyways, since the bed in this hut is taken, you go to your own hut next-door. Tired from all the walking and building, you immediately fall asleep.

I hope you enjoyed reading and stay healthy!