Chapter 76

Hey, I can finally see again to what passage in a chapter people are referring to when commenting (sometimes at least)! Now they only need to fix notifications...

Slowly, you open up your eyes. The warm sunlight shines though the window, illuminating the entire room. Every piece of furniture is still exactly where you remember it to be. This is your room - your home. And you are sitting in the middle of your old bed with your back leaning onto something. You take a deep breath, letting the tranquility of the moment sink in.

“It’s nice in here, isn’t it?”, says a voice behind you.

So it is a person's back you are leaning onto. Huh, their voice feels so familiar, yet you can’t remember where you have heard it before. For some reason you can’t turn around to check either. You are only able to move your hands, mouth and eyes. “Am I dead?”

The stranger chuckles. “No, no. Sadly not.”

“Excuse me?”

“So, what do you think of your journey so far?”

“I-“, you sigh, “Who are you anyways?”

“Answering questions with more questions. An old classic. I think we both could play this game for quite a long time~” Despite the amusement in their voice, you get the feeling that they are very tired deep down. “But as a good citizen I will answer you~ I am nobody.”

“What about that is an answer?”

“There is not much more to say about me. I don’t really exist.”

“So you are just a part of my dream?”

The person behind you hums confirming. “Something like that. So, how do you find your travels so far? Your life in a fantasy world?”

“Both exiting and exhausting, I guess… It is nice to see all those places and people in person, to be a part of the story, but every two seconds something seems to go wrong. Why do you ask?”

“No reason at all. Have you ever thought about relaxing a bit? Simply having fun without caring about all the things that are out of your control?”

“What if I mess up the story beyond repair though? It‘s not like I can just say ‘fúck it, I am gonna join the Fatui’ or something like that.”

“Why not?”

You sigh. “Alright, you are certainly not my voice of reason.”

“Probably not. Still, you should try to enjoy your life some more. You only have one after all.” The stranger chuckles again. “Anyways, I will leave you alone now. It’s not like I belong here.”

Your feel the weight on your mattress trying to move away, but you grab their hand with yours. “Wait! …Why don’t you stay a bit longer?”