Chapter 47

I got my boy Ayato. And shortly after that I, yet again, lost a 50/50. That is the 8th time that happened alone on that account. According to my calculator the chance for that is around 0.4% and that number doesn't make me feel any better about it.

"They sell such nice stuff! No Raiden merch yet but the selection of items is nevertheless impressive for such a small island

"They sell such nice stuff! No Raiden merch yet but the selection of items is nevertheless impressive for such a small island. With what should I start... Food."

Like a small child in a toy shop you stroll along the streets. The amazement you feel doesn't only come from the choice of products but also from the fact that you didn't have a chance to do things like this in peace for quite some time now.

Guided by your nose you find a food stall selling various types of dishes. Egg Rolls, Tricolor Dango, Miso Soup, Tonkotsu Ramen etc. You are close to ordering a dish to your liking but then you notice that you don't have any money on you.

You sigh. "Haa, it would be weird if I went back to Aether, ask him for money and then walk away again... I really have to get my own emergency money for moments like this. I don't want to be poor."

"Excuse me, are you going to order or could I go first?", somebody right next to you asks.

"Oh, sorry for standing in the way." Moving to the side you see that the person who spoke to you is nobody other than the Yashiro Commissioner himself.

"You don't have to apologize. I suppose my mere question ended up sounding more like a complaint. Is there any particular reason why you looked at the food for so long only to leave with none?"

"Well, I just remembered that I don't have any Mora on me and I can't just take food without paying, right?"

"Hm. Why would anyone take the effort and time to come to Inazuma when they are essentially poor? You, at the very least, don't look like you are from around here."

You are sure that he is simply curious but his dignified aura is still somewhat intimidating. "N-no, that's not it. It is just that I am here with another person who is currently doing a favor for Thoma. That friend has the money for both of us."

"A favor for Thoma?"

"Yes. We are returning a favor in advance since he promised to help us."

Ayato pauses for a moment, seemingly deep in thoughts. "...I see. What was it that you were thinking to get before remembering your financial situation?"

"That one. Why do you ask?", you point at a delicious-looking dish.

The head of the Kamisato Clan turns towards the vendor. "Sir, could I get two portions of those?"

Even though the cook was aware of Ayato's presence beforehand, he still ended up being startled by the request. "O-of course, Mr. Kamisato. Coming right up." He gives Ayato two servings of the dish.

In exchange the Yashiro Commissioner hands over one small bag of Mora. The second portion is passed on to you. "Here, take it. I believe we will meet again. Until then, goodbye. I have yet something to take care of so I am unable to continue our conversation."

Ayato leaves you completely dumbfounded. "What...did just happen? Why did he... Hm. At least I have food now." You sit down on a bench at the side of the road and begin eating.

Not long after you see Thoma approaching you in the distance. "So that's where you went. Once I wanted to explain you and Aether the details you were suddenly gone. ...I hope you like the cuisine of Inazuma."

"Yeah, quite delicious. And sorry for randomly walking away. I explained Aether my reasoning and I thought that would be sufficient. I'm sorry...", you smile sheepishly.

"No problem.", Thoma sits down next to you. "Are you alright if I stay with you up until Aether is either finished or ends up needing my help?"

"Yeah yeah, it's fine." You two awkwardly fall silent again so you speak up. "Tell me, is Ayato always so... strange? Like leaving one with no understanding what just happened during a conversation?"

"Where did that question come from?"

"I just met him and he for some reason bought me something to eat after that..."

"Ah right, he did mention that he had some business that had to be taken care of here on Ritou... He can confuse the person in front of him quite a lot but that usually only happens when he is scheming something. In your case, I would say, that's highly unlikely though. So maybe he was in a hurry? I can't tell."

"There you are. Paimon and Aether were already growing worried that you vanished again. We uncovered that scamming intrigue and are ready to go.", Paimon, who is followed by Aether, joins in.

You sigh. "Please have at least a shred of faith in me... I am not a small child..."

"We are aware of that. The problem is just your talent to attract problematic people. Please don't take it personally.", Aether offers you his hand to help you stand up which you accept.

"Well, what is next, Mr. Thoma?"

"First of all, I would have to check if you did your job properly and then I will take you to the person that could be of help, as promised."

"Man, Aether has become time efficient."

I hope you enjoyed reading and stay healthy!