Chapter 75

I really should be studying right now instead of writing this...

~Procastination is fun~

Time passes and your medium sized group journeys further into the Chasm

Time passes and your medium sized group journeys further into the Chasm. Based on how odd and corrupted the environment looks, you must have gotten quite far by now. From a social point of view, you also made some progress. Both Aether and Dainsleif aren’t as tense as before around each other anymore. Don’t get me wrong – they are still holding their cards very close to their chests, but they are at least somewhat accepting of the other ones presence, which can be sensed in the atmosphere.

You also got to know that Dain is as vague as possible with everyone (and not only with you). Since Aether couldn’t understand why Dain out of all people knew about Lumine, Dain explained how he traveled together with her a long long time ago, as well as that he himself originated from Khaenri’ah. Everything reduced to the bare minimum, but it still brings Aether a bit closer to the status of knowledge he would have had if you didn’t exist.

Paimon, who has been moving all around the air like a disorirnted fly inside a house, suddenly floats over the edge of the path you are walking and stares into the distance. “Hey, look! Is that an… upside-down building?”

It isn’t easy to see in the dark, but there is indeed some sort of structure hanging from the ceiling of this giant cave. Now that you are here in person, those ruins appear a lot more impressive than in the game. The overall distortion of this place gives them haunted castle vibes – and not the good ones.

“That’s exactly where we need to go!”, you cheer.

Aether sighs. “(Y/N), why do it always have to be places like this?”

“Don’t ask me, I ain't Jesus. I can only say that there is an apparatus inside that is of our interest. We need to turn it off for good before the Abyss utilizes it. That's all.”

“And what does that machine?”, asks Dainsleif.

“Can’t you guess it yourself? Didn’t you feel a... difference ever since we came here? Something like a positive effect on your body?”

“…It weakens the effect of the curse.”

You nod. “Exactly. And since I have received productive criticism today, I will even tell you what the problem about this machine will be. In order to bring back some Khaenri’ahns, the Abyss will amplify the effect of the apparatus to lift the curse entirely. Of course, this won’t work as the curse is far too deeply connected with the cursed individuals. If not stopped, it will have the same result as slowly ripping out ones heart. They would die in agony.”

Sighing, Dain shakes his head. “Why would they ever consider such a foolish idea? They too should know that this won’t work…”

You shrug. “Dunno. Dasperation makes some people blind, I guess. Anyways, shall we go? The sooner we go, the faster we will get over it.”