Chapter 86

A bitter-cold feeling has overtaken your body

A bitter-cold feeling has overtaken your body. It is as if you were swimming in a frozen lake, minus the wetness of the water.

Confused, you stand up and observe your surroundings. Instead of the usual greenery you wake up to, there is only an empty black void.

“Hello?”, your voice echoes through the blank space, “Anybody there?”

No answer.

Strange. You were so accustomed to Nahida's visits that you forgot that you could still have dreams on your own. But what kind of dream is this anyways? It isn’t a pleasant one, that’s for sure. Yet it doesn’t feel like a nightmare either.

Since it appears that there really is nobody other than you, you decide to walk in one random direction for god knows how long.

The aimless wandering abruptly ends when a loud thunder breaks the silence. Surprised, you flinch visibly. Before you can react in any other way, another thunder follows the first one. Covering your ears, you want to block out the deafening noise, but to no avail. The ringing in your ears caused by the thunder makes you dizzy. Not being able to stand comfortably anymore, you go down on your knees and simply stare at the pitch-black floor. In this position it really feels as if the thunder was laughing at you for being a pathetic worm. 

Suddenly, you hear something different. Amongst the clashing sounds of thunder there is something like the chime of a bell. It isn’t loud, but the sound is gradually coming closer. Once it sounds like the bell is right next to you, you look up and see your precious pink Seelie. You want to reach out for it, but before you can touch it, it falls to the floor and phases through it. Shortly after it disappears, a hole starts to form and expand, swallowing you whole.

Heart beating quickly, you wake up from your slumber. “Well, that was… not so nice.”, you mumble to yourself. After a while your mind and body calm down and you decide to stand up from your bed. Doing so, you almost push off your pink companion as well. Careful not to wake it up, you place it on your pillow. Remembering your dream, a smile creeps on your lips. “Thank you for saving me, Rosa. Even if you know nothing of it.”, you whisper and leave your room.

Since you don’t know if the rest of your group is awake or not, you tip-toe to Aether’s room and take a peek. Both him and Paimon are still fast asleep. ”Rare to see Aether sleeping longer than me. Hm… Sounds like the perfect chance to buy him breakfast this time. Yep yep, that’s what I’m gonna do~”

Slipping on proper clothes and taking some money, you leave the house, alone. Just like inside the house you’re currently staying at, the outside world is equally quiet. A bit eerie, but you can imagine that these wisdom-obsessed Sumerians stay up till late at night and therefore wake up later than others. As long as the food vendors are awake, you don’t mind. After all, less humans mean less awkward social interactions. At least that’s what you want to tell yourself. The longer you walk around, the more concerned you grow. There is not a single soul walking outside. No normal citizens, no guards, no vendors, nothing. Not even Kathrine is at her usual spot. As if all life here was wiped out of existence overnight.

“Hello…? Someone there…?” No answer. You don’t like this at all. Maybe you should go back to Aether to wake him up…

“Yes, there is someone here. Good morning.” The deep unfamiliar voice makes you jump.

Turning around, you see a strange man standing around 5 meters away from you. He has light-blue hair that is mostly gelled back and weird black and white clothes, with black belts decorating his upper body. In addition, he wears a pointy mask over his face. The glowing blue accessories and the black feathers over his left shoulder make this outfit somehow work, but it is still an odd choice of fashion…

Somehow, he feels familiar.

“Oh- eh… Hi?” You offer him an awkward smile.

“Rather quiet today, isn’t it?”, he asks as he takes a few steps towards you.

“It sure is…” Instinctively you take the equal amount of steps backwards. Every inch of your body and mind screams at you to get away from him. Who is he? This guy probably has the most malicious aura you have ever seen in your entire life. He doesn’t look like a regular NPC, that’s for sure. “I probably should get going then… It-“

“As I can see you are not wearing your Akasha Terminal.”, he interrupts you as he’s still slowly approaching you.

“Oh, that thing? I… I am not much of a fan of such technologies, y’know?” You genuinely hope that it isn’t too obvious how scared you are right now.

In contrast to you, the stranger seems amused by the situation. “What a smart, smart mouse you are. Maybe he is right after all.”

“…He?”

“I don’t believe that’s currently your main concern, isn’t it (Y/N)?”

Your dread grows, threatening to suffocate you. “…Wh- who are you…?”

“You can call me Dottore.”

”Oh. Hell. NO.” How much you wished you could teleport right now. Dissolving into thin air would be fine as well. Anything would be better than this. Your heart is beating loudly, wanting to jump out of your ribcage out of fear of what could come. Harbingers are never a good thing to have around. You continue to back away, despite the fact that your legs have become shaky.

The Doctor is getting closer. “Good. Based on the look on your face, I don’t have to introduce myself any further. Now…”

Just as you thought things couldn’t get any worse, your back hits a wall. You are cornered.

By now, Dottore is standing right in front of you. “…will you come with me without making a scene, or do you want to do this the… hard way? I personally recommend you the first option, unless you want to humor me with your desperate struggle to get away.” Grabbing your face with his right hand, he forces you to look at him and squishes your cheeks.

Tears form in the corner of your eyes. “Why…?”

“Originally, I wanted my men to pick you up from that place you and the Traveler currently are staying at, but unfortunately you decided to be weary of the Akasha Terminal so, in contrast to the rest of the city, you woke up early. As for why I am doing this to begin with… You will see soon enough.”

:)

:)

I hope you enjoyed reading and stay healthy!