14 𝘑𝘜𝘓𝘠 • 2007

"Seungmin!"

A voice cut through the crowd; footsteps growing louder as the seven-year-old boy maneuvered around the mass of students, all huddled together on the school playground.

He was searching for a special someone, but had found no luck in spotting where the that someone was, and he was starting to panic.

He had already checked the cafeteria; ran by his teacher to see if she knew where the younger boy had gone; and had even asked another kid from his class for the whereabouts of the missing boy, but only got a shrug in return.

However, there was still one place that he hadn't checked yet, and he was determined to find what he was looking for.

So he had sprinted over there in an instant, panting a little by the time he had reached his destination, but he didn't mind one bit.

He wanted this to be a special moment─one that was bitter-sweet. The atmosphere was heavy as he caught his breath, and he quietly ducked under the leaves.

The soft sound of rustling tree branches caused the brunette boy to look up from the paragraph he was writing; gently placing the pencil behind his ear as he locked eyes with his visitor.

"Chan...?" He sniffed, hesitantly shutting his book and pulling himself up to stand on his feet.

It was as if the two boys were in the middle of a duel─the air was so heavy it felt like you could suffocate.

Although, perhaps it only felt that way because both boys had their breaths held in suspense; waiting for one of them to clear the air and make the first move.

Which the brunette did.

He pursed his lips and shook his head, a look of confusion briefly washing over his features as he took a sharp inhale before speaking.

"Chan, what are you doing h─"

He began, but was immediately swept off his feet by a pair of arms wrapping around him in a bone-crushing hug.

It was the kind of hug that knocked all of the air out of your lungs all at once, but it was a nice hug nonetheless, and both boys never wanted to let go.

However, if they never did, they would surely get too attached to each other, and that might end up poorly.

So, the brunette was the first to hesitantly pull back; a look of confusion still painted on his face, muddled with undertones of uncertainty and apprehension─but the fluttering feeling in the pit of his stomach caused a bright red hue to flush across his cheeks.

He pushed that feeling deep down─restricting it from surging through his body, in a wave of ecstasy, any further─and he awkwardly cleared his throat.

"Chan... It's been a year... Why now?"

The mentioned boy, standing still in front of the brunette, stiffened slightly. He wasn't expecting that sort of question to fall out of his friend's mouth, but he could definitely understand why.

He could understand why the brunette was a little cautious around his sudden presence, and why─despite wanting to hold and comfort him and tell him to never leave─he kept his distance.