𝘵𝘸𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘺-𝘴𝘪𝘹

二十六

the dramatics:
2015

The whole thing with Sangkwan that week had made me forget that I had a drama performance literally a day after our date.

I don't know why I forgot about it, Felix and I picked the same subjects for our GCSEs (he very much persuaded me by overloading me with compliments about my acting skills) so him stressing about it should've reminded me, but for some reason my head was too in the clouds and I completely wiped it from my memory.

Well... I say 'for some reason' but I know exactly the reason why I was distracted.

Let me explain it to you in play-form (since we're on the topic of drama anyway).

•| ⊱✿⊰ |•

THE SCENE OPENS WITH A COFFEE SHOP. SEUNGMIN AND SANGKWAN ARE GETTING READY TO LEAVE, AS IT IS BEGINNING TO GET DARK OUTSIDE

SEUNGMIN: (Throwing on a scarf) I really enjoyed that brownie. The gooey-ness was perfect, I loved every bite.

SANGKWAN: (Putting on his coat) You looked like you enjoyed it a lot. You wouldn't stop complimenting it every thirty seconds.

SEUNGMIN LAUGHS

SEUNGMIN: It deserves constant praise for how good it was, thank you very much. (He jokes).

SANGKWAN: Then I could say the same about this date.

SEUNGMIN: (Blushing) Do you want to split the bill? (He changes the conversation rapidly).

SANGKWAN: No, it's fine. I already payed. (He smiles).

SEUNGMIN: (Surprised) Oh, you didn't have to...

SANGKWAN: (Smiling more) But I wanted to. Take it as a thanks for all of your tutoring help.

SEUNGMIN: (Blushing more) Let's just go. It's getting dark and I have a mother to get home to. (He rolls his eyes, playfully).

SANGKWAN LAUGHS

SANGKWAN: Alright then. Do you want me to walk you home?

SEUNGMIN PEERS OUTSIDE, CONSIDERING IT, AND THEN SHEEPISHLY NODS, AFRAID OF BEING RIDICULED FOR HIS FEAR OF THE DARK

SANGKWAN: That's fine. What direction should we head towards first?

SEUNGMIN: (Dragging SANGKWAN outside, by the hand) This way! (He points to his right).

THE TWO BEGIN WALKING, HOLDING HANDS AND TALKING ABOUT RANDOM THINGS THAT COME TO MIND.

WHEN THEY START CROSSING A BRIDGE, SEUNGMIN BUMPS INTO A HOODED STRANGER, CAUSING HIS PHONE TO FALL OUT OF HIS POCKET.

SEUNGMIN: (holding his arm in pain, then frantically apologising) Oh! I'm so sorry! Are you okay?

STRANGER: I'm fine. Sorry for barging into you. You dropped your phone.

SEUNGMIN NOTICES THAT HIS PHONE IS GONE FROM HIS POCKET.

SEUNGMIN: Right. Sorry again.

SEUNGMIN AND THE STRANGER LEAN DOWN AT THE SAME TIME, GOING TO GRAB THE PHONE, BUT THE STRANGER GETS THERE FIRST, PICKING IT UP.

STRANGER: (Handing the phone over) Here you go.

SEUNGMIN: (Taking it) Thanks.

AS THE STRANGER IS ABOUT TO LEAVE, THE WIND BLOWS HARSHLY AND PULLS DOWN HIS HOOD, REVEALING A FAMILIAR FACE.

SEUNGMIN: (Reeling back slightly, in surprise, then becoming slightly disgusted) Chan...?

THE STRANGER LOOKS UP, ALSO IN SHOCK.

CHAN: Oh! Seungmin! I should've recognised it was you! Why are you...

CHAN LOOKS OVER AT SANGKWAN, WHO IS GLARING AT CHAN WITH MENACE. CHAN'S EXPRESSION DARKENS.

CHAN: ...with him.

SEUNGMIN: (In a monotone voice) Oh? Sangkwan? We were out on a date. He was just walking me home.

SEUNGMIN GESTURES TO THE HAND HE'S HOLDING, SMILING AT SANGKWAN TO PROVE HIS POINT.

CHAN: Right... You two have fun then. And sorry again for your phone, I guess.

CHAN PROCEEDS TO THEN [EXIT LEFT OF THE STAGE], HANDS DEEP IN HIS POCKETS.

SANGKWAN LOOKS AT HIS DISAPPEARING FIGURE INCREDULOUSLY.

SANGKWAN: You know him? (He asks SEUNGMIN).

SEUNGMIN: (Frowning) Yeah─well... Used to.

SANGKWAN HUFFS.

SANGKWAN: Well. We should probably keep walking then, shouldn't we? It's gotten a lot darker.

SEUNGMIN: (Nodding) Yeah, let's go home. I need to clean my phone.

END SCENE.

•| ⊱✿⊰ |•

And that's why I couldn't concentrate that week.

I was too busy thinking about your reaction to Sangkwan. About Sangkwan's reaction to you.

I wanted to tell Felix, but I didn't need him threatening to beat you up when we both had drama coursework to focus on that week.

So I confided in no one.

And keeping all of our interactions to myself was how I dealt with most of your behaviour, following that night.

Because it only kept getting more confusing.

# •°

mayhaps this chapter was just an excuse for me to try writing in a playscript format lmao.

if it's cool, then it's cool, but i don't know if i'll do it again─

(unless you want me to)

─jen