𝘦𝘭𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘯

十一

a little helping hand:
2008

"Hey! You need any help with that?" was something I probably could've said a little more growing up. But, after the day you told me about all of your family struggles, I decided to act on that, and try to help you out more.

That night, I went home─thinking about what you had told me─and immediately sat down at my desk to make a list of: 'Things I could do to help Chan'.

Eight-year-old me was determined to make you feel better, and what better way to start that than with a neatly compacted, bullet-pointed list of useful tasks I could do.

I had already ruled out 'pack him a daily lunch' and 'listen to his problems' because I knew I did those already. I just needed to come up with more.

Like:

Help out with his siblings,
• Help him complete his chores,
• Remind him to take breaks,
• Keep an eye on his well-being,
• Start collecting pocket money so he can buy food at school,

The list looked good, although I knew I would be adding more to it in the near future.

I was just incredibly determined to help put things right, because no child should ever feel this pressured, and I especially hated seeing my best friend upset.

Even though, I don't think best friends think about each other 24/7-365, now, do they?

And, I don't think best friends start to get butterflies whenever they're around each other... do they?

Eight-year-old me was so oblivious to my own emotions that it was almost laughable.

Looking back on it now, I just wish I had acted on them sooner...

# •°彡

tea.

─jen <3