forty-four; war

"Kom falau oso na gyon op

"Kom falau oso na gyon op."

It has been six years and ten days since we enter this bunker. Four years and twelve days since the end of the dark year, something no one would dare talk about.

Since the hell started I never got close to the broken radio again. I had constant nightmares about everyone dying. Everyone would die but I would keep standing as everyone I love would leave earth.

The fighting pits had bloodstains that couldn't be washed away. My fighting ring had holes on the wire, blood on the floor that wouldn't be cleaned and eventually dried.

The rooms had ghosts of everyone who died so that we could live. The one thousand two hundred people going down to eight hundred fourteen. All of the other ones were dead. Most of them by mine or O's hand.

I had marks all over my face. Every time they got away, new ones would appear. I had lost all hope of ever leaving this place. Octavia did too.

Osmos had died in the fighting pits and Delphia was someone I couldn't recognize.

I was someone I couldn't recognize, the same way Octavia was.

We watched each other die from the inside out every day that went by. Six years and ten days.

I had won more scars than I can count. The fighting ring could use weapons now. I had a scar over my collar bone, one under my eye, and the one Cosmos had done to me when we were training. It felt like an eternity ago.

There were two thrones strategically placed so that we could watch the fight on the pits.

Kane was fighting. He had stolen medicine to give Abby. Just like my father.

I let him fight. Not doing anything to change his fate. It was his second fight. Blodreina had decided he wasn't worth freedom, and as before, I don't do anything to change his fate.

"As we invite death into this hall, we honor it." I say, loud enough for everyone to hear it. "Omon gon oson." (All of me for all of us)

"Omon gon oson." The crowd repeats.

"And, as always, be the last." I rise my arm for them to fight as I sit at Octavia's side.

Kane doesn't move. He had promised not to fight. He stands there, looking up at us.

"What is this? Choose your weapon." One of the fighters tell him. "Fight me, damn you, or neither of us will get out of here alive."

"I will not fight you. I will not kill this man." Kane tells us and we get up, walking to the last floor. "Somehow we allowed justice to become vengeance and vengeance to become sport, and I allowed that... that darkness to rise..." He keeps saying as we walk into the pit. "But my complicity ends today."