01

The streets of New York were so busy during the day

The streets of New York were so busy during the day. I think I got used to the whole pushing past people, waiting fifteen minutes in line to get a coffee situations. It was much different from Europe. But I liked the change.

There was a foreign thrill to the city that drew me to stay here. I liked it. And at the moment that's all I needed, to feel a tiny little bit of closure. A little safe. Switching the song in my playlist I ran my hand through my hair and passed the intersection sipping on the cold black coffee, making my way to Eighth Avenue.

The new job was quite far from my studio flat but I liked walking. There was something calming about it that made me feel in control. Not that I didn't own a car, but let's be fair in New York at times like this you would walk faster than a car with all the traffic.

The ringing of my phone interrupted me from the music vibe as I neared the building. I answered it through my earphones. "Hey."

"Lainey!"

"May?" I asked at her high pitched voice. "What's going on?"

"Ugh nothing. I was just helping Peter get ready for homecoming. He's got this dance."

"Well whatever homecoming is, dancing is totally not Pete's thing, heh, tell me you at least taught him some dance moves?" the doorman Rei opened the door for me and I smiled at him.

"Of course, who do you think I am?" I laughed swiping my key card

"Of course, who do you think I am?" I laughed swiping my key card. "What are you doing tonight?"

"Nothing in particular. Why, you want me to come over?"

"Yes." I smiled at how I'd learned to read her.

"Of course I'll be there. I got to go though looks like the boss is here. Bye hon."

"Bye. Get some wine tonight will ya---" but I hung up as the eye of the tall brooding Nick Fury spotted me. I smiled awkwardly putting my bag on my desk I stood up to wait for him as he approached.

"Good morning Mr. Fury." he studied me up and down.

"Morning Blaine." I didn't know what to say as he just looked at me. I knew I wasn't in some sort of trouble since my work was flawless and I was confident in it, the only thing I was confident at now a days. "Come with me." He started walking and I hesitated before grabbing my phone and catching up.