40

~ One last time ~

"The most painful goodbyes are the ones that are never said and never explained

and never explained."

I sat there listening to him. Time to time I would feel Steve's eyes come to me. I knew what he was thinking.

I could do it.

I already knew how.

There were few things in life I would admit that I couldn't do. Bugman was on the right track. It might've taken me a minute to understand how the man shrank into the size of a sand grain in seconds, but spending five years within hours, that I understood. It was simple really.

"There's a, slight problem." I finally said.

"Problem? What problem?" Asked Nat, she was fidgety, clearly stressed and overthinking. I leaned forwards grabbing the peanut butter sandwich. "Sure, go on, help yourself."

"I thought you said you could do this." Steve crossed his arms.

"I can. And I will. There's just the part where we all go in this thing and not, practically, die."

"Tony?"

"Steve?" I mocked with his straight posture.

"What do you need? We have the chance to fix this, bring everyone back!" Like I needed a reminder. I had my reminder, every morning. Next to me.

The cold side of the bed.

"I know that. And I know what I need, hence the slight problem!"

"What do you need?!"

"Her."

Bouckaert Farm,
Fainburn,
Georgia

The knot in my stomach wasn't supposed to be there. I was going to walk in, talk with her, convince her, and go back. I wasn't going to pry, or ruin my promise.

She doesn't want me there.

But when I saw her sitting in that balcony with him by her side, the balcony I made her, with a small smile on her face, I needed to blast something. No, I needed to punch something. Feel the fucking pain that was now in my chest.

I watched as her face changed from the relaxed to confusion as we got out of the car, but the moment her eyes met mine, the sadness and the cold look which haunted me every night came back.