24

"Feeling that come back,

are feelings that never left"

We walked quietly inside the compound. The big A shining above me as we made our way through the halls. I'd missed this place. 

An empty feeling that had been inside my chest for so long this month was starting to die down

An empty feeling that had been inside my chest for so long this month was starting to die down. But the hole he'd filled was still empty. I looked out the glass, at the river, the mountains behind  reminded me of our home. I was never going back there again. 

The only thing consoling me was the idea that Alex would want me to move on and be happy. Whatever time we'd spent together was always limited, we always somehow knew that, but chose to pretend and never speak of it anyway. 

We didn't speak a word. We stood quiet in the elevator going up to the private wings. As the doors opened I saw Pepper walking immediately to me.

I heard a little sight of relief escape her as she engulfed me in a hug barely letting me breathe. "I'm so sorry." I hugged her back, I hadn't seen her in almost six years now. That's a long time.

"Thank you." I whispered back. She looked into my empty eyes. 

"I've missed you so much." Hers were almost teary. Smiling I squeezed her hand. I caught a glimpse of Tony putting our bags in the middle of the living room. 

"Tony!" A feminine voice was heard coming down the stairs. A blonde woman approached him and wrapped her arms around his shoulders. Tony pulled her close with his free arm holding his bag in the other.