08

Third person POV.

"Tony?" Rhodey opened the door to his room. "Please tell me there isn't some random woman you're screwing right now?" There was no answer. The lights were dim, you could barely see three feet in front of you. He turned them on stopping dead on his tracks.

The room was trashed everywhere. It looked like somebody had broken in. "Tony, what are you doing?" Tony was sitting next to his window with a Scotch glass in his hand. He bent down sitting next to his friend almost scared. "Is this about Lainey?" Tony pursed his lips nodding.

"It's my fault." His voice was horse. Rhodey was genuinely concerned. He hadn't seen his friend this bad since his parents had died, and he was only in his twenties then.

"How is it your fault Tony?" He asked quietly. Tony stood up wobbly leaving the bottle down in a table.

"I left her, in France

"I left her, in France." Tony had been vague about the whole Paris thing. Not telling them what exactly had gone down. "I got pissed at her ex boyfriend and punched him at her dads funeral."

"You did what?"

"I know. Then I left her." Closing his eyes Rhodey decided to not prejudice him. "Well she fucked up too but..." he pursed his lips and turned to Rhodey. "What are you even doing here?"

"Fury is debriefing us downstairs." Tony clapped his hands and wore his jacket. He was drunk and not in his right mind.

"Let's go then."

"Are you sure you wanna do that?" But he was out the door.

"So what exactly happened to her dad?" Asked Steve as they were going through some maps of Siberia when Tony entered. "Tony?" His hair was messy and his tie crooked. He sat on a chair crossing his arms. Fury continued as if he wasn't there.

"Her dad died in his sleep. A heart disease."

"And why did she not come back though. That's what I don't understand." Asked Clint earning a nod from Nat.

"She said she finished her mission, also something about being in a conflict of interest

"She said she finished her mission, also something about being in a conflict of interest. Any of you know what that means?" They all looked to Tony who rolled his eyes. "I see. She was going to get a debrief the next morning, but we didn't hear from her again."