27

"and suddenly
the dreams— started chasing me."

- Tess Guinery

"Lainey wake up

"Lainey wake up. Lainey!" My ears were ringing and my vision was all blurry. "Hey! Can you hear me?" His voice was distorted. I felt like I was in a vacuum. The world was spinning. Was it?

Turning my head around I looked at the surroundings. Tony was next to me unconscious. Panic filled my body forgetting everything else.

"He's fine. Just out." Matt was standing over me checking my face.

"I'm okay. What the hell happened?" We picked Tony up sitting him up against the wall.

"There was a bomb. Did you see it?" The memories came back to me. The little red box with the numbers. I'd caught it right in time. At the ten seconds.

"Yeah. I saw it. It was right there. Matt, someone did this. I don't understand. This is— this is a senators event, there are secret service agents everywhere." Matt seemed to be thinking. Kneeling down I brushed Tony's hair away from his face. He was breathing slowly.

"It had to have been someone on the inside." There were patches of fire on the balcony. The damage was done more to the wall.

I looked inside, there were people running around trying to get out. "We should go." I said. In the same moment Tony woke up abruptly breathing heavily. "Hey hey."

He looked at me in shock grabbing my hand. He tried standing up coughing. "Calm down. You're okay." I held his arm as he leaned back steadying himself.

He looked at me then held my face checking a little cut in my forehead. "You're hurt." I shook my head.

"It's nothing. We should get out of here." Matt walked to the balcony doors where a big metal wire was blocking the way.

"Hold on!" Shouted Tony, stopping when Matt took the wire lifting it up. He looked at me confused and lost.

Matt gave me a little smirk before walking in. "Tony what did Fury want?" I asked as we walked through the dance floor towards the doors. Firefighters were clearing the place. Matt had grabbed his stick.

Tony stopped me grabbing my hand. "I need to tell you something." I frowned. "Today, after you left—

"Guys! This is not the place." I looked around as secret service and police filled the place. Tony clenched his jaw.

"Let's just go home." I said squeezing his hand. He looked at me, licking his lips he pulled me towards the doors.

The second we walked out news reporters and cameras flashed at us. I pulled my hand away from Tony's quickly. A pit formed in my stomach as he shook his head at my action.

I didn't want to do this, public life was never my thing, I didn't need reporters assuming and following my every moment.

Tony's car came to the front and he opened the door for me. I stopped looking at Matt. "You good?"