Chapter 13: The Case of Ecto-Acne

*Danny's POV*

"Why couldn't she have said hospital?" I asked, as I suited up to go inside the quarantine area. I saw (Y/n) laying down on a bed, and looked over to see Sam, Tucker, and Vlad on their own bed down the room. I was by (Y/n)'s side, and she tried to sit up, but I set her back down gently with my gloved hand. The rest of us, including (Y/n)'s parents were all wearing protective gear in a secluded room.

We heard Vlad groaning awake, and mom was hurrying over to him. "Hey, everyone." She said. (Y/n)'s parents turned around from the screens that were monitoring all of them. "He's awake!"

"Ahh, Maddie." Vlad sighedas she dabbed a cool cloth on his forehead. "I knew you wouldn't let me down." Then he looked over at me and (Y/n) as soon as she walked away. "It's almost like you didn't have a choice." I couldn't help but growl at him, and then I felt (Y/n) place their hand in mine. My expression softened and I turned my head slightly to her. She didn't want me to argue, but I couldn't help myself. 

"Looking good, Vladdie!" Mr. Fenton exclaimed off to the side next to (Y/n)'s dad.

"Uh oh." her dad said as levels dropped on the screen. "He's a goner."

"Dad..." (Y/n) managed to say. "That's not funny."

"Yeah, I can't be a goner!" Tucker said, sitting upright quickly. "I haven't even dated a cheerleader yet!"

"Trust me, you're never going to live that long." Sam said without a doubt, and Tucker dramatically fell back down on his bed. I walked over to her parents. 

"There has to be something you can do for them!" I pleaded to Mrs. (L/n).

"I wish I could, Danny." she said as she typed on the control panels, making sure everything was stabilized. "But I still can't identify the ecto-impurities that's causing the lethal acne." 

"LETHAL!?" Sam, Tucker, and (Y/n) exclaimed together. They were all looking scared. 

Vlad sighed. "Life is so unfair..." He said, sitting upright. Then, he looked at my girlfriend with an evil smirk. "Isn't that right, (Y/n)? The rest of your life with your friends and your boyfriend is growing shorter." 

I grabbed at Vlad's tux, and pulled him close to my face shield and glared down at him. "I swear, if they find the cure, I'm going to you wish they hadn't." I snarled quietly.  

"Oooh, good one!" Vlad teased. "I swear, I get chills when you get so dramatic. But if I were you, I'd focus more on saving your friends and your girlfriend. They're running out of time." He looked over his shoulder and we looked at them. (Y/n) curled up into a little ball on the edge of her bed, and she shivered like crazy. I wanted to go over there and hold her, but I didn't want to catch what they had. Tucker's eyes were closed and he had difficulty breathing. Sam, too. She was also facing the side effects everyone else experienced.

"Time...?" I asked. "That gives me a great idea..."

~~~

I hurried to the Ghost Zone in search of Clockwork's realm, and told him everything that had happened so far. I thought it was a pretty good idea to me, but Clockwork quickly replied with, "No, it's a horrible idea. I'm the ghost of Time, not the ghost of miracle cures."

"Send me back in time to my parent's college days, Clockwork." I pushed. "I can prevent the accident that gave Vlad his original outbreak of ecto-acne, and his ghost powers!"

Clockwork turned to me with a concerned look on his face. "Changing the past can have dire consequences." He explained and phased to his child form. "Are you willing to take that risk?"

I turned to the portal in the middle of the room and saw (Y/n) lying down on her bed with a hardened expression on her face. Sam and Tucker were fast asleep, but it was almost like all three of them were-. "Please," I pleaded. "Tucker and Sam are my best friends, and my girlfriend is everything to me, and I...don't have a choice."

"You always have a choice." Clockwork said. "But since you insist on learning things the hard way..." A giant portal appeared above us, and I saw an image of a college building. I flew right into it, and Clockwork said, "Try not to destroy the past."

~~~

I appeared behind a sign that said: University of Wisconsin. Established in 1948. I peered out from behind, and was about to change back to normal until I saw a bunch of college kids dressed in their 80s outfit. 

"Destroy the past?" I asked myself, raising an eyebrow. "What, and lose all this culture?"

"Totally awesome outfit, dude." A random kid said to me and I blinked. I turned to see a goth kid that had spikes over his bracelets and his ears were pierced. He gave me a thumbs up and walked away. 

"Oh great." I said, "I blend. Well, guess it beats people thinking I'm a-"

I stopped to see a bulletin board nearby which had fliers around the words "Ghost Portal". I peeled off the paper, and took a look at it. Experiment room 101: Science Building. I decided to go check it out. 

A while later,  I found my parents with Vlad in the science room. My head poked out from the ceiling and I stayed invisible. "Maddie..." Vlad started to speak and I listened in. "There's something I wanted to tell you for a long time."

Mom continued to press buttons on a remote control in front of the mini ghost portal. "One second, Vlad." She said kindly. "Jack, did you remember to fill the filtrator with ecto-purifier?" 

"On it, baby!" Dad said, reading the notes on the clipboard. He hurried over to pick up a can, and I gasped to see that it was a diet cola instead. He poured it into the tube, and once they were finished, Vlad peered through the ghost portal. 

"I'm telling you, Jack, it won't work!" Vlad said.

"Bogus, V-man! It totally will! This proto-portal is guaranteed to bust open the wall into the ghost dimension." My parents walked away to finalize the calculations. Mom eyed the papers carefully, and looked at it odd.

"Jack, these calculations aren't right-." She started to say until he lifted up the remote with such enthusiasm. 

"Bonzai!" He shouted and flicked the switch. The filtrator machine started bursting with electricity, and Vlad gasped as the portal whirred to life. This was how everything began, and that's my cue. I quickly flew Vlad out of the portal before he got blasted with the beam of green light. 

The beam reflected off everything. Mom and Dad hurried out of the way, and before it hit my mom, Vlad quickly pushed her out of the way. My dad, on the other hand, was not safe. 

"Vlad..." Mom said. "You saved my life!"

"Yes, I did, didn't I?" Vlad asked as she smiled at him, sweetly.

I peered behind one of the counters with a smile. "No ecto-acne." I muttered quietly. "No Plasmius. Mission accomplished."

I found myself back to the present, and I sighed. "Phew," I said, "Back home." I floated over to my house without taking a good look at it. "And no quarantine tent either...Which means, everyone's alright! I think." That's when I noticed it. My house no longer had the Op Center, or the sign Fentonworks at the side of it. I looked down the street where my girlfriend's house was, and no cars were in sight of her driveway. I frowned. Uh oh

I walked up to the front door and hurried inside in my human form. I gasped to see the living room trashed. The couch was torn up, and flower pots on the ground, soiling the carpet. Then, off to the side, I saw pizza boxes that were half eaten, and half on the floor. It was a pigsty in here.

No one was home. Not even (Y/n)'s parents. "Uh, mom?" I walked in further cautiously. "Dad? Jazz? (Y/n)? Anyone?"