Chapter 58: Frightmare

(A/n: Awwww man, I was waiting for this episode!!)

*Danny's POV*

I was content. I was elated. I was at my happiest today because I just earned an A+ on my Science test today, and I knew who I wanted to talk about it with. I headed for the table in the school cafeteria with a plate of lunch in my hands, and I gasped when I saw Dash and Tucker together. Dash looked at Tucker with hands clenched into fists, like he was ready to wail on Tucker. 

"Oh no," I said, "Dash is going to destroy Tucker!" I hurried over to them, hoping I can intervene. "Guys, wait. Violence is never the answer."

Then, Dash turned to me and said, "Well, look who's finally here. I've been waiting for you, Fenton!" I winced, closing my eyes tight when his arms rose in the air. I knew it was the day I'd still get a brawling from Dash, and he's been doing this for years. I waited, and waited some more. "No seriously." I peeked one eye opened and he was grabbing the chair beside me instead of punching me in the face. "We've been saving your seat for like ten minutes. Where you've been, buddy?"

I looked at Tucker who was grinning at me. He had the school newspaper already laid out on the table and I read it from where I stood. Kwan and the rest of their football buddies came running up behind Tucker, cheering for me. I was even more confused. I picked up the school newspaper, "Fenton Throws Winning Pass? Throws...Winning...Fenton?"

Dash sat down beside Tucker, picking up his burger and beamed with excitement. "Three seconds left in the game and you called a reverse?! You're the best quarterback Casper's ever had!"

"I am?" I asked nervously. "I mean...I-I-I am!" Suddenly, my ghost sense went off and I was wondering if people saw. I shrugged and whispered to myself, "Speaking of comic book villains..." I looked off to the windows of the cafeteria and saw the Fright Knight floating outside, looking down at me menacingly. 

"Danny, outside!" Dash said, and behind him, Kwan held his hands over his head and looked at the Fright Knight in fear. "The Fright Knight!"

"Uh..." I stammered, shrugging again. "W-Why are you telling me?"

"Duh..." Dash said, facepalming. "Cause you have ghost powers!"

I turned around to the crowd of students who were cheering at me. That made me feel even more nervous, that everyone knew my secret. "Uhh..." I said, "Going ghost?"

It felt weird to transform in front of the entire student body, but I grinned to myself. This is what I wanted, and this is what should've happened. I turned intangible and phased through the ceiling, and launched myself towards the Fright Knight. 

"Hey, Frightnut!" I shouted at him and he raised his sword, blazing with green flames. My hands clenched into fists and it glowed a bright blue aura. "Do you know the freezing point of metal?" I froze the Fright Knight and his horse in a block of ice, and he screamed in defeat. I thought it was way too easy, but there he went, dropping from the sky with his trusty steed. "I'm getting an A+ in Science, so..." I said, pulling out the Fenton Thermos. I aimed the thermos downward and sucked him in. "That was really more of a rhetorical question."

I attached the Fenton Thermos back to my belt and headed back to the cafeteria. I was floating overhead and everyone continued to cheer me on. I returned to normal and took a seat. I looked over to see Paulina and Star both staring at me in admiration as they sighed, but I chose to ignore them. 

"Sweet!" Dash said, and I averted my attention back to him. "Must be nice, Fenton. Being a superhero and having a harem of girls all lovesick for ya." 

I looked at Tucker who whispered to another jock. "Sounds like somebody's tired of taking his cousin to all the dances!" He joked, elbowing the jock as they laughed.

"She's my mom's sister's stepdaughter." Dash grumbled as everyone around us giggled.

"C'mon, guys. You know there's...only one girl for me." I said, chuckling to myself. 

"I sure hope you're talking about me." a voice said. I felt butterflies in my stomach when I felt someone standing close to me. I had everything I ever wanted, and (Y/n) being here made it complete. 

The butterfly feeling went away so quick when I saw it was Sam instead of (Y/n). "Can you make room for your girlfriend?" Sam asked and I already pulled a seat out for her. 

"Sam?" I softened my surprised expression and smiled saying, "Wow, nice jacket." 

Don't do this, Fenton. This isn't real, this isn't-.

"It's not black, but it's yours, and that's enough for me." Sam said, gleaming at me with happiness. I've never seen her this happy since she kicked Ricky Marsh in 2nd grade off the monkey bars. 

"This is great and all, but where's (Y/n)?" 

"(Y/n) who?" Sam asked, and then I found myself leaning towards Sam for a romantic kiss. 

Then, it was like everything was starting to fade, like an old TV box from the 40s that couldn't connect to anything and all you saw was static.

I gasped awake, in the middle of the Ghost Zone. I was lying down on a stalactite until I bolted upright. The helmet broke off my head and I was panicking with beads of sweat rolling down my face. "A dream?" I asked myself, and I sighed. Oh man, if (Y/n) ever finds out about this... "Whoa, more like a nightmare."

I stood up from the stalactite and looked around. "How did I get out all the way here in the middle of the Ghost Zone?" I thought about it, and in my mind, I pictured several ghosts with no eyes and sewed eyelids. Then, I saw a bigger ghost that had the starry night sky for it's body, black with shiny dots for stars and him having horns over his head. "Dark...A-a ghost? Did I dream that too?" I was in a thinking pose, and as my eyes narrowed, I saw the helmet broken in pieces down below. I picked the pieces up, "Something tells me that finding out how I got here isn't going to be as half as scary as finding out who put me here." 

I made my way back home and once I went through my parent's Ghost Portal, I jumped down in the lab and transformed back to human. I looked around and no one was home. "Nobody home?" I mumbled, walking up the stairs. I winced when I heard the rolling sound of a beaker on the ground. "Mom, dad, Jazz? Mr. and Mrs. (L/n)?" I walked up to the living room and everywhere else was empty. "Hello? It's quiet, too quiet. It's weird too, I'm used to seeing (Y/n)'s parents here working."

I went upstairs to the bedrooms. "Mom? Dad?" I peeked in their bedroom and saw them sleeping in their beds with the same helmet I wore. "No!" I hurried over to them to try and pry off the helmet, but I ended up getting shocked. I screamed in pain and said, "What are these stupid things anyway? Looks like a tiara with a high-tech princess. Princess...Jazz!" 

I went over to Jazz's room to see her sleeping as well, and I placed my hand over her helmet without thinking again, ending up getting zapped. The light on top of the helmet started blinking and I knew that was just a signal of me trespassing. "Going ghost!" I shouted, and phased through the ceiling. "And going to the video tapes!"