Chapter 59: Nocturn, the Ghost of Sleep

(A/n: As I was watching this episode, who knew that Nocturn was voiced by Roku from Avatar? I JUST found out.)

*Danny's POV*

"Whoa, rewind." I said. I was in the Op Center, accessing the videotapes and the only thing I saw were six green ghosts phasing through the front door of my house. "What was that?" I hit the rewind button and paused it just before the pair of green ghosts went through. "Hello. Looks like breaking and entering to me. Well, phasing and entering anyway." I had the tapes roll back to where mom and Mrs. (L/n) were working downstairs together in the lab, and a pair of ghosts loomed over them. They ended up putting sleep magic on them both and they passed out on their inventions. I saw the dark ghost again, and he placed two helmets on their heads.

Same thing with Jazz as she read in her room, and the same thing with my dad and Mr. (L/n). I stood up in shock. "What's happening? Why attack the Fentons AND the (L/n)'s? Unless..." I went out to look outside the windows. "They were putting the whole town to sleep..." I gasped. "(Y/n)!"

I went to my room first, to see if she was there, and sure enough, she was asleep in my bed. "(Y/n)!" I said, placing my hands over her helmet to yank it off. I screamed out in pain once her helmet shocked me. "I've got to stop doing that..." I walked over to her and frowned, "I'll find a way to get this off you, (Y/n), I promise. I gotta get to Sam and Tucker, too. Maybe Tucker's equipment can shed some light on what's happening."

I headed to Tucker's home first, and found him sleeping in his bed with the helmet. I accessed his computer as he curled in a ball in his sleep. "Okay..." I sighed, "Let's see what's playing on TuckerVision." A hologram of Tucker appeared off to the side of his computer and I watched as Tucker was attacked by the dark ghost again. He leaned back in fear and fell asleep straight away once the helmet was placed on his head. My jaw dropped when a cloud swirled around them both and the hologram flickered off. "A whole new ghost? And yet, he's kind of familiar. Thanks, Tuck. I'll be back."

When I flew out of his home, I looked down below to see the whole town. Everyone was put to sleep, including construction workers, kids, and adults, animals. "Whoa..." I said. "The whole town's asleep." I gasped, seeing my ghost sense going off. I looked down below to see two green ghosts that I saw on the videotapes. They gasped when they saw me. "Uh oh..." My hands glowed green with ecto-energy, and I tried to attack them with ecto-blasts, but it went right through their bodies.

I was launching myself at them, until they came up at me and grabbed both my arms and took me away. "Let me go! Who are you, what do you want?" They continued to fly me away. "Strong and silent types, huh? Okay...Let's see how strong." I focused some of my energy and froze both of them. "I don't know where you're taking me, but I'm pretty sure I don't wanna go."

I screamed, falling from the sky. I forgot my arms were still attached to them, which meant bad news for me. I broke them off my arms and tossed them away from me, and I was able to fly again on my own. I wiped the dust off my hands and chuckled, "Not that strong after all." I flew down to a back alleyway and hid behind the dumpster. I peeked over and saw an army of the green ghosts that had the eyes sewed together, and once they looked at me, I quickly turned invisible. "A whole freaky army run by a whole new freaky ghost? Why do I have the feeling that Vlad's somehow behind this?"

Unfortunately, when I went to his mansion, he was asleep, holding a mini-plush stuffed toy that looked a lot like my mom. "Well, this is definitely a good news-bad news moment." I said, floating beside his bed. "But if Vlad's not behind this, who is?"

Just then, I turned around to see a bunch of the green ghosts flying behind me and I waved at them. "Hey guys! Love your individuality." When they weren't paying attention, I attacked them with several ghost rays and they disintegrated one by one. Most of them flew towards me, and I looked at how many I had to face. "Lucky I'm already a student of your creepy ghost moves." Two pairs of hands phased through the wall behind me and grabbed my arms and my legs and I yelped. "Pay attention, guys!" My eyes started glowing bright blue as I channeled the ice power. "You'll see why I'm not even scared."

I heard a voice chuckle behind the green army of ghosts and they made way for their master. "Ah, but you should be ghost boy, and if you were smart, you would be."

"You?!" I asked, and the new ghost started to explain what had happened.

"Look I don't know who you are or why you woke me up." I said to the ghost as I battled him down the streets. I thought I had done some damage to him, but he started to regenerate, just like Undergrowth.

"Don't worry, ghost boy. You'll get back to sleep. I promise." he said.

"Is that all you got? Dude you need to get yourself some new..." He dodged my attacks as it went right through him like it was nothing. "Uh...ghost powers."

"I get by. Would you like to see how?" the ghost asked, appearing right behind me. Blue swirls of mist floated in front of my face and as I inhaled the mist, I fell asleep straight away. "Sweet dreams, ghost boy..."

I gaped at the dark ghost and glared at him. "You were the one who sent me into the ghost zone." I growled.

"Yes and I'm about to do it again." he grinned at me as he placed me on a strapped table.

"Who are you, what do you want?" I asked, and the table lowered. Behind me was a Ghost Portal, ready for me to be slung into.

"I am Nocturn. The ghost of sleep." He replied. "And what I want, I already have: your dreams. The dreams of everyone in this town. I travel from town to town, absorbing the energy from dreams. With billions of people in your realm, imagine the energy there is to harvest."

"O-okay. I-I get it already. But do you get that I won't let that happen?" I asked, as my hands and feet were covered in ice with the cuffs around them. I used my strength to break them off the table and I floated in the air. "All that beauty sleep's left me rested and stronger. Not a great idea." I smiled at him before sinking through the table. I blasted Nocturne through the ground and pushed him upward. He screamed in surprise and hit the ceiling, getting shocked by the equipment. When he fell to the ground, I said, "That'll teach you to steal people's dreams!"

"Stealing is such an ugly word. I prefer "harvest for energy."

He raised a hand at me, but whatever energy he had dissipated from his hand. "Looks like you need it, you're running out of steam. So what's the big deal about people's dreams?"

"Asked the ghost boy who dreams of the goth girl who's jealous of your current girlfriend." Nocturne commented, and I blinked in surprise.

"Oh man." I said, nonchalantly. "That was private." Private even for (Y/n)...

"Dreams are the gateway to the subconscious." Nocturne explained, and his whole body glowed green with power. He grinned evilly and tossed an attack at me, and my ghost ray made contact with it. An explosion got set off, and I was surprised. Then, he lifted me off the ground and threw me to the side. I hit my back against the wall. "My army will keep the world asleep so that I may remain all powerful."

"That's all you do? Put people to sleep? You sure you're not a teacher?" I asked, managing to stand up. I ripped through his body, and pushed through. As I smiled proudly, I gasped, watching his body re-attach itself.

"Sleepwalkers, form." I turned around to see four of the ghosts behind me. "As you will see. Dreams also fuel my sleepwalkers. We are unstoppable."

"This is where I say dream on." I said, posing a fighting stance.

"Sleepwalkers form!" Nocturn said after I destroyed a pack. They reappeared and pummeled me to the ground, creating a crater in the middle of the lab. I stood up, holding all of the Sleepwalkers in both my hands over my shoulders. Nocturn's jaw dropped when he saw what strength I had. I let go, and froze every Sleepwalker I had over my shoulders and broke through them. Nocturn floated towards me. " You know, with the entire town dreaming I can do this all day."

"Yeah?" I mumbled. "Me too."

"Really? I believe this is where I say "dream on"." Nocturn said, and several Sleepwalkers started grabbing at my arms and legs again, keeping me down. I was surrounded by even more Sleepwalkers. "Time's up, Danny Phantom. I promise your sleep will be much deeper this time. And by deeper, I mean permanent nap time."