Chapter 45: Removing the Roots

*Danny's POV*

I headed home. The portal opened up and I stepped through it. The lights were off, and all I could see was a dark, ominous green glow emitting from the portal. I held up a hand and created a light with my ghost energy. My parent's lab was covered in vines and deadly flowers, and thorns.

"The lab looks like this..." I said, "I can't imagine the rest of the town."

I phased through the ceiling and came out from the top of my house to take a look around. The sky was dark, and I just see more vines, but on a bigger scale. "Danny..." a soothing voice said behind me, but no one was there. It sounded like (Y/n), so I followed the sound of her voice.

"This place is deserted..." I said to myself. "No signs of human life anywhere. I better find Tucker or-" I felt my body growing colder again and I shuddered. "I control the power...The power doesn't control me."

"Danny, my love..." I looked over to a huge tree in the middle of town. At the bottom of the tree, had a flower bed surrounding it. I continued to search for her. "Welcome back." (Y/n) said and I turned to her. "I thought you were gone for good..." I saw her emerge from the roots of the tree. She was wearing a crown, and a new dark green outfit that made her fit for a queen. Vines were surrounding her whole.

"(Y/n)...We have to get you out of here." I said.

"No." (Y/n) said, grinning. "I like it here. Sam taught me everything I needed to know. Undergrowth has made all things new. They...need me." (Y/n) flew past me and thicker vines crawled to her hands. "I have become their new mother."

"What?" I asked in disbelief. "You said yourself you don't have the patience to even babysit!" I floated closely to her to try and reach my hand out to her. "We have to get out of here now. Where's everybody else?" She smiled and snapped her fingers. We saw an amount of pods filled with our friends and families. Sam and Tucker were in their own pods side by side. "Our friends, (Y/n)? Our families? (Y/n), what are you doing?!"

"They will be used as nutrients for the children." (Y/n) explained, turning to me. "All that matters now are the children."

"And you will make a fine meal for them, too!" Undergrowth roared, he appeared behind me. He was twice as big as before. He swatted me away and I yelped, with my back hitting the vines on the ground. Before I could get attacked with more vines, I flipped away and cut them away with my ghost rays. Then, I formed a ghost ball of energy in my hands and cut off Undergrowth's arm. He snarled and then smiled, his arm regenerating.

Undergrowth created minions and they all attacked me. When I finally stood my ground, I ended up getting trapped in vines. "You must take root with me, Danny..." (Y/n) said. "Become one with us!"

I sent her a pleading look. "Stop, please!" I said, "(Y/n), you can't let him win!" One of the vines were wrapped around my mouth and they pulled me under. "No, wait!" Before I was pulled under completely, I saw another flicker of realization, until I was gone for good.

~~~

*(Y/n)'s POV*

I turned to Undergrowth once I watched the vines take Danny under. My mind was clouded, and I wanted to scream out to him. I didn't want him to be under the influence of the Mind Vine. "You have done well, my daughter..." Undergrowth said, and I immediately turned to him. It felt like all my emotions were shut off. "You shall have the honor of feeding him to the children when he is ripe."

"Yes, father..." I droned, staring at the gaping hole where Danny went.

Suddenly, we felt the ground rumble, and I gasped. We looked over to the gaping hole and ice emerged from the vines. I saw Danny floating in the air, his whole body surrounded by an icy blue aura. "Bundle up, (Y/n)..." He said, taking a fighting stance and I snarled at him. "It's going to get chilly."

His hands had a blue glow around it and he turned Undergrowth into a frozen block of ice. Undergrowth flew past me and attacked Danny, who dodged a landing fist. Danny swooped around him and froze part of his body. When Undergrowth broke free, he swatted at him, and Danny dodged until he was wrapped in thicker vines.

"Watch out!" Danny shouted, as ice crept over the thick vines. "The weatherman predicted a cold snap!" He broke free from the grasp and Undergrowth roared, shrinking in defeat. "Hey, Cabbage Face! Haven't you heard that cold air is bad for the plants?!"

He turned invisible and he sunk through the root of Undergrowth. "Undergrowth, what's the meaning of this!" I growled, as he screamed more in defeat.

"My roots!" He answered and I tilted my head. Undergrowth shrunk some more. "No. You cannot do this to my children. Agh, This is my domain! My offspring will inherit the earth."

"Do something!" I shouted angrily.

"Dude, I don't know if you realized this, but you're a terrible father." Danny said, coming up from the ground.

"No!" I screamed as I watched him pummel Undergrowth to the ground several times.

"As a duly deputized protector of Amity Park, it's my sincere hope that you've enjoyed your butt-kicking experience." Danny said. He placed his hands on his hips and smiled with satisfaction. He formed a snowball in his hand and then green ghost energy swirled itself inside. Danny tossed the snowball through Undergrowth's chest and created a hole in it, and Undergrowth roared.

He started to regenerate again, but something went wrong in the process and he screamed, "No! NO!"

I was watching in shock as blue beams of light emitted from Undergrowth's body. He was trying to contain himself until his whole body exploded. I watched the whole town being surrounded by ice and vines melt to the ground, and the townspeople being free from the Vine Mind. Suddenly, the vine snapped from my head and I fell to the ground. My outfit disappeared and I returned to normal.

Everyone around me groaned from waking up, and I held my head in my hands. "What happened?" Sam asked.

I made a disgusted sound from afar and she and Tucker glanced at me. "Blech!" I said. "My mouth takes like I had nine thousand shots of wheat-grass. Without the wheat. Did you do this to me, Sam?"

"And I had a nightmare that I was trapped in a giant salad bar!" Tucker said, standing up. "Ugh, garbanzo beans..."

"(Y/n)?" Danny asked, and I turned to him. He was walking over to us and we noticed something odd with him. "Are you guys okay?"

"Danny, what happened to you?" I asked as his body glowed bright blue.

"Let's just say I have a whole new respect for nature." Danny said, and I walked up to him. The aura went away, and we watched him create a tiny diamond out of ice.

"Whoa!" Sam exclaimed.

"Wow, you can do that now?" I asked, happily. I noticed he was not shuddering in cold anymore. The diamond fell into his hand and I saw him smiling at me as he held it out to me. "Danny? What's this for?"

He walked closer to me, and tilted his head against mine. "I'm...glad my queen's okay..." he whispered, and I blushed.

Then, we looked up to hear some engines roaring up to us. Sam, Danny, and I looked over to Tucker wheeling over a mower. "Tucker, what are you doing?" I asked. "...$5,000 to cut someone's lawn?"

"All I need is one lawn and we'll be rolling in green stuff." Tucker said with content.

"Why do I get the feeling (Y/n)'s just done that?" Sam asked, confused.

"I AM REGENERATING!" A voice underneath my foot said. We all looked down to see a tiny root of Undergrowth with his hands in the air. Danny took my hand and pulled me away. "I WILL TAKE OVER THE-" He screamed in fear as Tucker rolled over with the mower angrily.

When he cut Undergrowth into bits, he rolled to a stop up to the three of us. "That one's on the house." Tucker said and the four of us laughed together.