A Talk With The Queen

Hiccup's P.O.V.

When Jack pulls Astrid away to talk with her, I decide to take this opportunity to talk with Elsa. There's a question I've been dying to ask her since a few hours ago that I need to know the answer to. Plus, she is dating my best friend. It only makes sense to get to know her more. I need to know who's going to be keeping Jack in line when I'm not with him.

I slowed down my pace a little bit, allowing myself to get in line with Elsa. Once Elsa is next to me, I match my pace up with hers, allowing the two of us to move in sync. She gives me a simple smile that I give back in return

"May I ask you a question, Your Highness?" I ask, glancing over to Elsa.

"Of course you can!" She smiles, "And call me Elsa. There is absolutely no need for formalities between us. You know this."

I nod with a slight smile, "Of course."

"Now, what's your question?" She asks.

"Well," I start, "I was wondering when Astrid's birthday is. I notice everyone in the village was giving her gifts today."

"Ah, of course!" She says clapping her hands. "Her birthday is tomorrow actually. It's a tradition to give the royals gifts the day before. That's how we as royals know they care for us and remember such an important celebration." 

I nod, taking the information she gave me in. "Alright, so her birthday is tomorrow. Now I need to figure out what to get her." 

"You don't need to get her anything," she says. "She'll be happy just spending the day with you." 

"I'm sure she would, but I want to get her something special," I say, turning my gaze to the beautiful woman in front of me who currently speaks with my best friend. 

"Well, whatever you decide to get her, she'll love it." She smiles, turning her attention forward. 

I nod and keep my eyes forward. The two of us stay quiet for a moment as we walk in step with one another. Neither one of us walks in front or behind the other. In front of us, Astrid and Jack continue to chat with one another. Personally, I would love to be walking next to Astrid and holding her hand, but I know Jack wants to get to know her. Speaking of getting to know people, I can finally get to know Elsa, especially since I already asked her my question. 

"So, how is it dating Jack?" I ask, glancing over to see her reaction. 

She chuckles a little bit before responding, "He is certainly a character, that's for sure. He's very good at lightening up the mood and making someone laugh." 

I nod in agreement, "Yea. He's certainly good at doing that. Have you found out anything interesting about him?" I ask. 

She takes a moment to ponder about my question before answering, "Well, he really seems to care for the people in his life. I find that quite amazing. He also seems very generous and helpful. I know he spent quite a bit of time helping the village with the festival preparations." 

"Yeah, he enjoys lending a helping hand whenever he can. He may not show, but he loves the hard labor. It's how he knows he's actually making a difference," I mention. 

"Really?" she asks. 

"Yup! Back at home, he would volunteer to help the needy in many ways. Whether it's by helping out in soup kitchens or helping the workers build homes for the homeless. I'd help out too of course, but he definitely puts more time into doing it than I ever could." I explain. "Jack enjoys helping those who are less fortunate. He believes it's his calling in life."