Crafting Protection

Hiccup's P.O.V.

When I wake up, I feel a slight movement against me. I look to my side to see Astrid still asleep next to me. I sigh in relief knowing I hadn't waken her. As I look to her, I notice how beautiful she is when she sleeps. It almost reminds me of the time I entered her room to wake her from her 200 year slumber. She was beautiful then, and she's still beautiful now.

I look to her momentarily before carefully getting up. Being gentle, I pick her up bridal style and carry her up to my bedroom. Even though my body is sore from sleeping on the couch, I don't want her to feel the same when she wakes. Some sleep on the bed should help relieve any tension or body aches.

As I walk toward the stairs, I notice Jacks coat and shoes on the floor. Nice to know that even after a date with her royal majesty and he still doesn't pick up after himself. I'm kind of glad Astrid isn't awake to see the mess my roommate likes to leave around the house.

I trot up the steps and quietly open the door to my bedroom. As I walk over toward the bed, I feel a slight movement in my arms. I look down to see Astrid stir a little bit before relaxing, her head on my chest. I smile a bit to myself at the moment and stop before placing her on the bed. I hold onto her, no entirely wanting to let her go.

Ever since last night, I've been more determined to protect her from any harm. From what she told me, the man from her past wasn't true with his feelings. He came here to be close to her and yet he put her to sleep. He showed her love, compassion, but in the end left her to sleep for eternity. Something that should never happen, to anyone.

I want her to know that I'm not here to hurt her, but instead to protect her. I may look like that man but my intentions are different. I want to get to know her and for her to know me. When I leave this island at the end of the summer, I will be a chief of my own town, one that I will protect. And I will protect her just as if she was my own, even though she's not.

I lay her down on the bed gently and drape a blanket across her sleeping form. She stirs a bit more before curling herself into a ball, pulling the blanket tightly around her. Even though she's slept for 200 years straight, she still sleeps quite a bit. Then again, I don't plan to wake her up like they do at the castle.

As much as I wish to stay here and watch her until she wakes, I know I can't do that. I decide to go to the window and whistle for Toothless. If I can't be here to protect her, I know Toothless can.

As soon as he flies up and through the window, he licks my entire being. I chuckles quietly and pet him, trying to make sure not to wake Astrid from her slumber.

"Hey bud, can you do me a favor?" I ask.

He sits on the floor in front of me, ready to listen to my question.

"Can you keep an eye on Astrid for me while I head off to work? I don't want to leave her alone." I smile and gesture over to Astrid.

He follows my hand and then up to me before nodding big and giving me a gummy smile.

I smile and give him a scratch on the chin. "Thanks bud."

After making sure Astrid is protected and leaving her a note, I quickly change in the bathroom before leaving for work. As I walk, I decide to munch on a muffin I stole from the kitchen, probably intended for Jack. I figured he wouldn't mind since I leave earlier than him and I'm letting Astrid have mine.

Jack is a major foodie. He'll eat anything you give him and freaks when his food disappears. I'd rather give him the chance to freak out at me instead of the blonde princess sleeping in my room. I'm sure at this point, he'd understand at the reasoning. I even left a note under his door to let him know what's going on. I even asked for him to tell Elsa since I'm unable to.