Thinking Emotions

Jack's P.O.V.

When Hiccup left to return to work, I was left in my own thoughts. Most of the conversation revolved around me and having to call my aunt. He said that he'd stop by the castle tonight and make sure he's there when I call her. Apparently, he wanted me to do it on my own, letting me have some space to speak with her privately. But I've been too stubborn. I had to figure out how he knew I hadn't called her, and through some questioning, realized Elsa talked to him. I didn't know whether to be upset that she brought him into this or in awe that she worries over me.

Once work was done for the day, I started the trek toward the castle. The entire way, I think about every time I've told my aunt something she didn't like. When I told her I wanted to start a band with Hiccup, she was furious, saying that I wouldn't be able to do my homework or anything else besides it. It took a month for me to prove to her that I'd be able to do my homework, spend time with her, go shopping, and do other things while being in the band. She still wasn't happy with it, but at least she wasn't fighting me at that point.

I know why my aunt reacts the way she does. All her reasons are understandable, especially since she's raised me from such a young age, but I can't help but feel like she needs to accept my choices. I'm old enough to figure things out on my own, yet she still sees me as a kid who lost his parents. It takes a week of arguing before she starts seeing my side of things. And she's not even truly seeing my perspective. She usually just gives up after a week of not budging from my end. It's no fun.

For my entire life, I've let her take the lead, stepping out only when I know there's something I want. But I'm scared that stepping away from her dream of my college education is going to burn our family bridge to the ground. Even though I need to make my feelings known to her, I still feel like there's a chance she won't ever agree with them.

I groan to myself as my thoughts start to consume me. I want to be a good nephew for my aunt but that might mean I wouldn't be able to stay here with Elsa. And I want to be here with Elsa, to be the boyfriend she deserves. Is it too much to ask for both of them to be happy while I get my way?

Coming to a stop, I close my eyes to take a deep breath. I can't let these thoughts get to my head. They will only consume me and keep me from doing what needs to be done. After one final deep breath, I open my eyes and continue on my path.

It doesn't take long to reach the castle. Nodding to only those I pass by, I walk in and head straight to my room. I close the door once I'm in, walk over to my bedside table, and pull out my phone. I stare at it, hoping it will make the call for me. No matter how long I stare at it, it still doesn't do what I want it to.

I should be okay once the phone starts ringing, but it's getting to that part that's the issue.

Releasing a sigh, I fall back and look at the blank ceiling. Once again, my mind begins to wonder about the different ways the conversation with my aunt could go. Each one makes me want to avoid the call even more. With a sigh, I rub my face as I try to think of anything besides my future phone call. I just need to clear my mind. Think of something else besides the impending phone call I need to make. Maybe if I think or do something else for a little bit, it'll be easier to make the call. At least I hope it is.

I get to my feet and hide my phone in the bedside table before leaving my room to head straight out into the garden. Following the well-kept trail, I enter the woods. The trail continues, leading me to a stream. The sound floats through the air as I get closer, making it the only thing to fill my thoughts. With a slight smile, I walk over and kneel, placing my hand in the water.

The coolness of the liquid flows up through my arm, causing me to release a sigh. I kick off my shoes and step into the stream, letting the water run across my toes up to my ankle. Closing my eyes, I immediately think of the different films where there's always a girl with her feet in the water. A laugh escapes me as I open my eyes, thinking of how I gave myself a moment to be a woman.