Accepting the Reason

Astrid's P.O.V.

I sit on the bed I'm using at Hiccup's house and hug my knees. After this old Hiccup left, I wanted to go somewhere to clear my mind. I could've gone to my bedroom at the castle, but I knew a couple of people wouldn't give me the space I wanted. At least here, I know I can be by myself and still feel safe. Hiccup wouldn't bother me unless he needed to. He seems to sense when I need space, and it's comforting to know I can get that from him.

I stare into oblivion as I hug my knees and lean against the headboard. I close my eyes and breathe in the scent of wood and smoke as I think about what happened earlier today. I ran into my past and found out the true reason for everything. I was put to sleep for a reason, a reason which he never told me until today.

This entire time, I thought he put me to sleep for something worse. Something that I could never figure out. I thought he never loved me as I did him, but I was wrong. He loved me so much that he wanted to make sure I got the love I deserved. He didn't want me to marry some random person, but instead, to marry someone I was meant to be with. You could say I was meant to be with him, but at a different time and with a different version.

For the past two months, ever since I woke up, I've hated that man with a burning passion. I hated him so much that I wanted to beat him to a pulp. But now, after finding out the real reason for what he did, I can't help but thank him. Yes, he got to have a life and have a family, but thanks to him, I get to have that one day myself. I'll actually have the chance to marry someone and have a family of my own. I wouldn't have gotten the chance if he didn't do what he did.

After another 10 minutes of thinking about it, I finally decide to head downstairs. I know Hiccup is here and I'd like to spend some time with him. Now that I know that I am with the Hiccup I'm mean to be with, I can enjoy my time with him. I no longer have to worry about someone coming after me.

I get off the bed with a smile on m face and walk out of the bedroom. I walk down the wooden stairs and notice that Hiccup is sitting on the couch with his sketchbook in hand. I smile as I reach the bottom and walk over to him. I scratch Toothless along the way as he sits next to the fire before plopping down on the couch. I notice Hiccup doesn't look up from his drawing, but I can see a smile form on his lips.

I scootch closer to him and rest my head on his shoulder. He wraps his arms around my shoulders and pulls me close as he kisses the top of my head. I grin at the feeling and look down at the drawing he's working on.

"How are you feeling?" He asks, gently rubbing my shoulder.

I smile and glance up at him, "I'm wonderful! I was able to think everything over, and I couldn't be happier."

"Really?" He raises his eyebrow in confusion.

I nod, "Really. Honestly, I was a little upset at first. He put me to sleep and didn't even bother to tell me why. But now I know the real reason. He did it because he wanted me to be here, in this time period, with you."

I look into his emerald eyes with a smile and watch as he looks down into my own. A smile spreads across his lips as he leans forward, pressing them against mine. I smile at the feeling of sparks and place a hand on the back of his head, deepening the kiss. As we share our kiss, I feel his arm around me tighten a bit as he pulls me closer.

After a while, we finally pull away from one another. Hiccup smiles down at me and gently places his forehead against my own. I smile and close my eyes, allowing me to enjoy the moment. I open my eyes when I feel him pull away to see him picking me up in his hold and placing me in his lap. My cheeks heat up at the movement, but I can't help but smile at him.