Proper Goodbye

Hiccup's P.O.V.

It's been a little over a month since Jack and I arrived to Winged Island. It's a week until it's the middle of the summer and I feel like our time here has gone by quickly. We only have half a summer left until Jack and I need to head back to our own town and continue our life. I'll be shadowing my father and prepping myself to become the next chief and Jack will be going to college.

Not only do we have half a summer left until we head home, but we also have half a summer left with Queen Elsa and Princess Astrid. Jack has been hanging out with Elsa just about everyday after work. I'd be jealous, but I've actually been spending quite a bit of time with Astrid.

I've been able to learn a lot about Astrid these past couple of weeks. She is very skilled in many different things. She reads books, plays piano and even sings. I will admit she has the most beautiful voice I've ever heard. Not only does she have an amazing voice, but she also has the skills of a warrior. She's pretty good at using all kinds of different weapons; though her favorite is an axe.

Besides learning lots of things about her, I've been able to teach her a couple of things about the modern world. I've been able to show her and teach her about some of the electronics we have in our modern world. Though, since I can't take them out of the house, she's come over to check them out. She's still confused about how they work but she is also quite fascinated with them as well.

Every time she does come over, I keep thinking that she might end up fainting like she had the first time she came over. Good news is, she hasn't fainted once since then. She is still a bit hesitant when coming over. If she's here before I get home from work, she'll just sit outside with Toothless until I come home. I've noticed she doesn't like to be inside the place by herself. I can understand that with everything that's happened in her past; though I'm still curious why she won't go inside even if Toothless is with her.

Speaking of Toothless, I've been taking Astrid on flights with him almost every couple of days. After our first flight, we had gone over to Gobber to ask about her dragon, Stormfly, was her name. Though when we asked about Stormfly, Gobber told us that he wasn't able to keep her alive. He tried to have her sleep for the length Astrid did but it didn't help. Apparently Stormfly was one of the dragons that was lost in the battle they had after Astrid fell asleep. She supposedly was trying to protect Astrid and the kingdom and ended up loosing her life in the process.

Astrid was devastated when she found out the news. She practically fell to her knees in tears as soon as the words left Gobber's mouth. I ended up having to carry her back to my house because she seemed too weak to walk. She tried but she didn't have the strength to do much after she found out about the news. I ended up staying with her all night; making sure she ate as well as got some rest. I asked if she wanted me to take her back to the castle but she refused. so we ended up sitting on the couch and watched the fire until she fell asleep. Once she did, I brought her up to my room and let her sleep there while I slept on the couch.

I will admit, that even though it was a sad moment, I enjoyed it. It allowed me the chance to spend some time with her as well as just enjoy her company. Since then though, I've taken her for flights on Toothless as well as let her fly him on her own. I still don't know if she's flown him by herself, but I know she seems to enjoy our flights together. I do as well. Being able to see a beautiful view with a beautiful woman is pretty amazing; at least in my opinion.

I will also admit that my feelings for her have grown. With the growing knowledge I have of her and her past, I feel more and more determined to protect her. I've realized that I'm extremely excited to her everyday as well. I don't usually realize how much I've missed her until I see her ocean blue eyes looking at me along with her amazing smile. I've also been very tempted to kiss her whenever we are close to one another, which is quite a lot. We haven't shared a kiss yet, mostly because I want to respect her as well as her feelings. I don't know if she likes me. I feel like she does since we hang out quite a bit but then again, she still may not like me in that way. She may only like me as a friend, which I want to respect if that is the reason.