93. We Insist!

________________________

.

.

.

"Breathe honey, breathe!" Rodney patted on Joanne's back as she coughed out the sputum into the bowl provided.

"Xander will be here in half an hour." Anika said as she tossed her phone down on the couch, before reaching over to rub Joanne's chest as she continued coughing.

"Where is the fucking doctor?" Rodney growled at the nurse, who looked taken aback. "And why are you simply standing there?"

"Mom, you are the one who asked her to stay away from me when she came to help!" Joanne whined as she finally sat up, feeling her airways and throat clear up again. "Besides, it's just flu."

"The doctor will be here in a moment." The nurse knew that it was nothing to do be alarmed about but if the last four weeks had taught her something, it was that she must call the doctor for even the smallest of inconvenience because the mother and husband of the darling patient were reincarnations of hell's torturers.

Rodney just glared in return while Anika got her sister in law a glass of water. The two women exchanged a knowing look; feeling sorry for everyone who would have to deal with the wrath of Rodney Lake and Xander King because of this.

Today was the day Joanne was supposed to go home and since last day, she has been suffering from the worst flu she had ever had, according to Rodney. It was mostly because her immunity was compromised due to the immunosuppressive drugs she was having to take after the transplant.

"What happened?"

The three ladies and the nurse turned to the door to see Xander hurry with Anthony in tow.

"Are you alright?" Anthony asked as Anika moved back for Xander to take her place and hug his wife.

"I am fine." Joanne groaned, annoyed at her mother for having made Anika call her even more over-protective husband to the scene. "Why did you have to call him, Mom?"

"Because we are readmitting her for another few days." Rodney spoke directly to her son in law. He nodded in agreement; he had signed the discharge papers in the morning because she seemed alright but if Rodney thought it was the right thing to do, he agreed because he knew that she would only make the best decisions when it came to her daughter's health.

"What?" Joanne whined, the word barely coming out of her lips because it was muffled by more sputum clogging her throat. "I wanna go home!"

"It's just a few more days until you get better honey." Rodney said.

"Is everything alright here?" Dr. Kate Malcolm walked in.

"About time!" Rodney glared at her.

Joanne cleared her throat and said, "I have the flu and now these people want to readmit me."

"Oh, that won't be necessary-"

"We insist!" Rodney cut her off.

"I don't." Joanne scrunched up her face in annoyance. Xander looked down at his wife and opened his mouth to try to convince her but was shut by her.

"I refuse to stay. I wanna go home. I miss my pup and my niece."

"Jo, listen to me.."

"NO!" Her voice thundered.

Well, what could they expect from the woman whose mom and husband were that scary. The nurse thought as she flinched and took a step back.

She gestured with her hands for everyone to take a step back and give her space and then she looked up at Dr. Malcolm. "I am getting discharged today doc. Do you think I will be in much of a danger just because of the flu?"