53. Tell Me She's Alright!

______________________________

.

.

.

Joanne groaned as she grabbed her left shoulder, feeling the pain jolt through it.

Had they caught up? Or had they not? Because if they had, she was in big trouble.

She closed her eyes as she heard the assailant approach closer.

Play dead like a possum and then pounce like a panther. That was what she was taught. Except she didn't know how she was supposed to do that with a bullet to her shoulder blade, bleeding profusely, unarmed and against an armed man, or multiple men.

"Hey Steve, isn't this the same girl we were supposed to kill two months ago?" The man asked his accomplice as he nudged Joanne's head with his foot.

"Jeez you are right." The man named Steve walked forward. "But we got the dog instead!"

It took every bit of Joanne's remaining energy to not get up that moment and cause as much damage to these bastards as possible before they took her out.

But as someone once said, if it isn't a smart move, it's most probably a bad move. Well, she didn't know if anyone said that or if she made it up in her head at that moment because she was bleeding out and wasn't thinking properly.

"We better starting cleaning up. Don't wanna get hung up on dog talk."

"That was a Champion breed. It's a shame he had to die."

Wolverine growled.

The two turned immediately. "He isn't dead yet?"

"Neither am I!" Joanne mumbled to herself as she swung her leg and tripped the guy named Steve. He fell over, his head next to her while Wolverine attacked the other guy.

"Shit!" Joanne swore as she grabbed the gun, only to have it pulled back by Steve. Using all her strength, she climbed onto his chest and punched him in the face multiple times. She grabbed the gun and knocked him out cold with its back.

"You son of a bitch!"

Joanne turned to see the other guy throw Wolverine to the stairs. He raised his gun and aimed at him and Joanne at him. Before he or she could shoot, a gunshot was heard and the other guy collapsed to the floor, a hole in his head. 

 Xander emerged into her sight and hurried towards her, gathering her in his arms. "Jo..." He looked terrified. He WAS terrified.

"Where's...my boy?" And she passed out.

.

.

.

Xander tapped his foot against the floor as he waited outside the OR. She had the bullet pierce through her scapula, cutting the artery in the process. The doctors were trying to get it fixed. But the blood loss was bad. She could have gone into shock. Luckily, she didn't.

"She will live. If there aren't any further complications." The surgeon's intern had told him an hour ago. And Rodney, who had reached the hospital after going to the house and finding no one, had given the doctors all of her medical history.

The only concern was that she had almost bled her left hand dry and they were concerned she could have problem with the limb movements for a while. But that was all there was to it. No major nerves were injured and she was stable.

Rodney sighed as she sat down next to her son-in-law with two cups of coffee.

"Don't worry too much." She sighed. "It takes more than a bullet to kill Joanne Rodney Lake."