30. Tequila Please!

__________________________

.

.

.

|| ANIKA KING ||

.

After talking to Olivia and Ava, I strode out of the bedroom. We were staying at a suite with two bedrooms and a living room with a balcony attached to it.

Gregory was at the dining table to the side of the balcony, typing away on his laptop. He had slept through most of the flight so he was fully awake now. And me being the insomniac I am, didn't get any sleep.

"You want something?" He looked up from the screen, his face showing no emotion.

I shook my head, walking over to the couch and sitting down. I was fully awake. There was no way I was sleeping anytime soon.

"Did you call home?" He asked.

Phew. At least he was talking now.

"Yeah I did." I turned to him. He nodded without looking up and then didn't say anything more.

Say something Annie.

"Ava misses us." I blurted out.

Not bad not bad. A for effort.

"Probably just you. She's used to me being away." He murmured, still intently staring at the screen.

"That's not true." I said. "She misses you a lot when you are not around."

He looked up, closing the laptop. "I don't think so. You are raising her in a way that she never feels her father's absence. Like you planned to when you got pregnant."

My mouth gaped open when he said that.

He did not just say that.

He did not just say that after four years.

"I am not doing a good enough job then, because she still misses you and you are very very important to her." I tried to control it but my voice was raising.

"Oh I think you are doing a splendid job Anika, because even if I was to kiss her good night, she says 'night night mommy'." He stood up from his seat and walked over to me.

I too stood up. We were close enough to feel each other's breath on our faces though I only reached up to his shoulder height.

"Well, she wouldn't have said that if it wasn't for you not doing ever before. Like ever Gregory! You must be the first father who kissed his daughter good night once in her three years of existence though living under the same roof!"

"Because you never let me!"

I scoffed, laughing sarcastically.

"When have you ever asked me permission for anything?" I asked, poking him in the chest. I could feel tears leaking out of my eyes but I didn't care.

This man was accusing me of things I have never even thought of doing.

And he has been keeping it all inside for the past four years!

"I was scared!" He blurted out, stumping me. "I was scared you would take her away from me if I didn't keep my distance from you!"

I felt the lump in my throat.

What?

He was scared?

I was the one who was scared to even open my mouth in front of that family because I didn't want them taking my child away from me.