7. What Did She Do?

_____________________________

.

.

.

|| ANIKA KING ||

.

"What did you do all day, love?" I looked up at my husband. His eyes were trained on our three year old. Of course, he was talking to our daughter. He never talked to me. I was nothing but his namesake wife and the mother of his child. There was nothing else between us and I doubt there ever will be.

Not that I am complaining. I am happy with the life I get to live as long as my daughter is safe and happy and I get to be a part of her life.

"I played dress-up!" She clapped. "With Mommy and Aunties."

"Is that so?" Gregory pinched her nose while she scrunched it up, annoyed.

"Hmm.. Ava got a new favorite Auntie and I am a teeny tiny bit jealous." Daniella chirped. She sounded so sweet if you didn't know her reality, you would think she really was a sweet goodie two shoes.

"Who?" Rubina asked, looking from her plate.

"Aunt Joey!" Ava squealed. Her face lit up at the very mention of the weird girl. I guess that though she could be pretty immature for a grown woman, children liked how she was.

Rubina quirked an eyebrow. I could see she was a bit too interested in that woman from that dinner.

"Ava, are you done eating?" Daniella asked. Uh oh. I think I know why she want my baby off the dinner table. Can't this woman just take a break from preying on me? One peaceful dinner is all I ask.

She nodded, an angelic smile on her beautiful face. My beautiful angel.

"Use your words." Xander looked at her sternly.

She bit her lips, eyes watering but nevertheless choked out, "Yes Uncle Xander, I am done eating."

"Reema, get her washed up and in bed." Daniella said, eyeing me.

Reema came forward and helped Ava out of the seat. I stood up to follow them.

"Did I ask you to leave?" She said in a mocking tone.

I shook my head and sat down.

Everyone were looking between me and Daniella now.

"What did she do?" Rubina sound mad.

"Why don't you ask her yourself, grandma?" Daniella spat.

Gregory glared at me while Leon raised an eyebrow, concern evident on his face.

"I didn't do anything." I blurted out.

"No?" Daniella cocked her head. "What exactly were you doing talking to that Olivia?"

I looked down while I could feel four set of eyes glaring at me.

"Wouldn't it be suspicious or insulting if she didn't?" Leon tried to defend me.

"Well, I would have agreed if it wasn't for the look on her face which screamed 'rat'." Daniella glowered.

"Anika, tell me exactly what you said to her." Rubina said impassively but I knew the devil that lurked behind her emotionless façade.

"I just said that our family is a bit orthodox and that's why the marriage is happening this quick." I squeaked. Technically, I was telling the truth.

"Our family? This is not your family." Daniella sneered at me.