74. Why Are You Up?

_____________________________

.

.

.

Stella stared out the balcony, her hands in her hoodie's pockets, waiting for Anthony to come home. It was half past two in the morning and even though her over-caring best friends had made sure she was tucked into bed by ten at night, she couldn't get any sleep because her love wasn't by her side.

It had been two weeks since she found out that she was pregnant but she still hadn't gone to the hospital. Yes, it was mainly because she was feeling a bit superstitious with both Gregory and Joanne going through the conditions they were in, but it was also because Anthony was never home for her to confirm with him an appropriate time they could go to the doctor.

It was going to be the first appointment, and the first sonography and she wanted them to go together.

But why was he not around anymore?

She pretended to be blissfully oblivious but she could see that something was definitely up and tonight it seemed as if her best friends were told what was happening as well.

She sighed as she leaned against the railing just staring at the gate, waiting for Anthony's black Mercedes to show up.

She had no idea how long she stood there, just staring into the darkness before she heard movements downstairs.

Leaning over, she found Leon and Xander walk out of the porch in their PJs followed by Wolverine. Joanne and Olivia weren't with them.

Were they going somewhere? She wondered. But then again, they wouldn't take Joanne's baby boy if they were, now would they?

"What are you doing out here?"

Stella turned on her heels, taken by surprise.

Joanne stood there, a mug in her hand.

"Why are you up?" Stella asked. 

Joanne rolled her eyes. "I asked first. Now come on in. It's chilly out here."

"Where's Xander?" Stella asked, ignoring what her friend was saying.

Joanne pretended to be casual because she knew Stella had spotted her husband and brother-in-law downstairs.

"Xander and Leon went outside while I was making tea." She shrugged.

"Why are they up?" Stella was asking too many questions while Joanne was running out of time. She didn't need her pregnant friend seeing what was about to happen downstairs.

"Xander was following me around, as always." Joanne tried to be extremely indifferent though her heart was racing. "Leon came down with Wolverine because he was making a fuss, maybe the chicken at dinner didn't sit well with him."

Stella nodded. She was counting on her belief that her friend didn't lie. Little did she know that there were very little truth to what she knew about the brunette she had known for so long.

"Now come on in. I am freezing!" Joanne rubbed her free hand to her arm. Stella nodded and walked forward. Joanne spotted the headlights of a car in the distance so she quickly hurried in and closed the door after Stella, walking with her to her room.

"Do you want some chamomile tea?" She held the mug up when Stella turned at the door.

"No thanks. Are you going back down?" Stella asked.

Joanne could see that her friend was catching on.

"Nah. I am going to get into bed and read some manga or something." Joanne shrugged. "I am sure those three will come back whenever they want to. And even if they were to get lost, Wolverine can always sniff his way back an"