29. Did They Fight?

__________________________

.

.

.

|| JOANNE KING ||

.

I sat there, my chin on my palm, my elbow propped on my pillow, as I watched my husband dearest squeezing the ice cold water off the white cloth. He turned to me with a soft smile.

"Now lay down so I can keep this on your forehead."

I quirked an eyebrow at him.

"Didn't you hear what my mom said? I just need sleep. I am gonna be fit and fine when I wake up tomorrow."

He just nodded but it looked like he wasn't even paying attention to what I was saying.

"This is so that you are not uncomfortable, Joanne." He said as he kept the bowl down and used his free hand to pull the pillow from my lap and place it behind me, coaxing me to lay down.

Someone tell this prick that his unwanted care is making me uncomfortable.

Oh wait, I am not mute. I am fully capable of relying it to him myself.

"You know, what's real-" I was cut off when he placed his index finger over my lips.

"Shhh.." He said. "Close your eyes and go to sleep."

"What are you going to do?" I asked, swatting his hand away.

"Someone has to take care of you."

I groaned audibly. I sat up and patted the space in front of me. He looked down at the spot and then at me. I jerked my head in the direction motioning him to sit and he finally did.

"I was born with one kidney. It's called Unilateral Renal Agenesis. It occurs in roughly one child per thousand birth an year. And there's no additional complications." I explained while he listened intently.

"My family has a history of renal failures and mine is a little weak so they just take extra precaution because I only have one in the first place. But even if it was to fail, I can live with dialysis or get a graft." I shrugged.

"So you are fine?"

"Absolutely. I mean, you wouldn't even have known this if I hadn't told you."

He nodded again, peeling the damp cloth off my head and dropping it back in the bowl.

Phew. Finally.

"But you are still sick." He said, placing the newly dampened cloth back on my forehead.

I groaned as I fell backward onto my pillow while he chuckled, massaging my head.

Okay, I am gonna just pretend I am at a spa and fall asleep.

.
.
.

I strained my ears to focus on his breathing. Deep and slow. I peeped through my half opened eyelids. He was on his side, and I could say he was facing me from his elbow inches away from me.

I stared at him until I became accustomed to the dark and able to see his face more clearly. I ran a finger through his features, well set jaws, prominent cheek bones, a permanent frown, small invisible scars that you can feel but not see.

I hit the jackpot when I married this hot, caring piece of art.

I felt my lips tug up and form a smirk.

As if!

I propped my head up and on my hand and watched him.

I know I come across as a sweet shallow woman but I wasn't.