95. I Don't Understand

_______________________________

.

.

.

Rubina took a deep breath as she knocked on the bedroom door. Joanne and she didn't have the best dynamics and for the same reason, she had not visited her in the hospital. But that was not because she hated the difficult woman or anything. It was quite the opposite. She adored the girl. She really was Rubina's favorite granddaughter-in-law.

But they always fought. And it was not the cute banter like the ones the couples had. Their fights could get pretty heated and she didn't want that happening now that Joanne was only recovering.

"Come in."

The voice was hoarse and laced with sleep. Rubina was quite relieved. Tired Joanne never fought.

She pushed the door open and walked in.

Joanne looked up from her laptop.

"Don't you know the meaning of resting?" Rubina asked out loud before she could stop herself. She had to admit; it was mostly her that initiated the squabbles.

"This is not work work." Joanne yawned as she typed some more. "Also, I am glad that you are here." Joanne gave her a smile, one that looked very much genuine. But it was not like Joanne; she saw the older woman as a snake and didn't want anything to do with her.

"Sit down." Joanne pointed to the armchair which was placed next to her and where all her family members had sat on the course of the whole day as they came to visit her - which reminded her, her stupid husband was not back yet. And it was past dinner.

Rubina pursed her lips, trying her best to hide her nervousness as she took the seat.

"You seem like you are in the mood to interrogate me." Rubina noted, sitting up straight in an attempt to regain her composure.

"No." Joanne shrugged, looking over at her now sleeping Great Dane and then at her laptop. "I just have one question actually."

Rubina was confused. What was this about?

"What?" She almost chuckled, knowing how dramatic her granddaughter in law can be.

"Why?" Joanne asked, all emotions leaving her face.

Rubina's forehead furrowed. She had no idea what this was about.

"I don't understand." She said, scrunching up her face.

"Why the hell have you been using one of Leon's burner phones to send Olivia intimidating messages?" Joanne finally said it out loud.

Rubina's eyes widened.

How did she know?

It was the first thing she looked into as soon as everyone left her alone, and she had time to get her hidden gadgets out. She wasn't really appalled to see that it was Rubina who was behind it. And she felt angry at herself for ever doubting her brother in law; that sweetheart would never do something like that. Especially not to Olivia.

But she needed to know why Rubina was doing it. First, she threatened that poor girl into marrying into the family and now she was manipulating her into thinking that someone as good as Zach was just a creep.

"Why?" Joanne repeated the question.

Rubina stared at her for a long moment before letting out a deep breath.

"Have you seen Anika and Gregory these days?"

"Yeah, what's wrong with them?" Joanne was confused. "They are so happy!"