62. You Think That Is Enough?

________________________

.

.

.

Stella sighed as she finally pulled herself away from all the crowd. She was feeling queasy and out of breath. And she would have done anything to be able to get out of that dress right then.

She leaned against the wall and rubbed her chest, hoping that would settle her stomach.

"Stella, what are you doing here?" John Nelson, her colleague from work and the man who she had had lunch with, along with Joanne and the bodyguards, approached her.

"John..." Stella stood up straight, composing herself as she acknowledged.

"You okay?" John placed his hand on her arm, his eyes filled with concern. "You look pale. Should I call someone?"

Stella really wasn't feeling so well. She didn't want to bother her girls because they all seemed like they were having a great time. But she could really use her husband right then.

"Can you get my husband?" She requested. "I know you don't know what he looks like but-"

"I know exactly what Anthony King looks like." John cut her off.

"Great. Then can you-"

"But why do you want me to get him when it is very clear that he doesn't want to be there for you?" He cut her off again and for the first time, Stella registered the edge in his voice. He was drunk and he sounded a bit annoyed by the fact that Stella wanted her husband.

"John, what are you trying to say?" Stella tried to keep her voice even though right then, the bile was rising up in her throat from all the tension and she felt like she was going to hurl her dinner on the man's flawless suit.

"What I am trying to say is-" John grabbed her by both the arm, squeezing a bit too tight, bringing his face so close that his breath nauseated her even more. "- that you should let me, the only one who is the least worried about you, take care of you instead of the man who left you alone."

"John, let go of me.!" Stella wriggled in his arm, trying to break free from his hold. Her arms hurt as he dug his nails into her, and she felt so weak and faint that she just wanted to get away from him before she lost consciousness.

"Hey!" Anika's voice reached her ears and Stella never felt so relieved. "Let go of her."

Anika ran over to the duo and tried to push the drunk man off of her sister-in-law, but it did no good because she was no match for the hunk a whole foot taller and fifty pounds heavier than her. She did manage to anger him though and with a shove, Anika was on the floor, her ribs hurting from the fall.

"HELP!" Stella screamed as soon as she saw Anika fall to the ground. "SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP US!"

John's eyes flared with anger as he wrapped his fingers around her throat, choking her. "SHUT UP!" He growled.

"Let go of her!!" Anika was back on her feet, trying to get his hand off of her throat while Stella struggled for breath.

John looked as if he was blinded by rage and jealousy and the alcohol wasn't helping one bit. Anika looked around and with no choice left, grabbed a porcelain vase kept on a stand for show and broke it over his head.

John let go of Stella immediately and slowly turned around, his eyes wide and red as his hand went slowly to the back of his head. He clutched the throbbing spot and took a step forward to retaliate, but his vision blurred and his world spun, and he found himself losing balance and falling to the ground, complete darkness taking over his senses.