45. Dog Food

____________________________

.

.

.

"See? If you shade this like this, the colors blend in and it will look all the more gorgeous." Anika said as she gave the paintbrush back to her daughter.

"Mommy, I can never paint like you." Ava pouted as she put the brush back in the cup of water. "You draw so good!"

"Baby, why would you say that?" Anika mirrored her pout. "You are only three and you already draw so good. When Mommy was your age, I couldn't even properly hold the brush."

"Yeah?" 

"Yeah babe, you are already an artist!" Anika laughed and then patted her own head. "I mean, of course, you are my daughter after all!"

Ava laughed and jumped into her mother's arms who hugged her tight. "I missed you so much my little cupcake!"

"I missed you more." She grinned returning the hug. "Can we go play with Puppy now?"

"Well, why don't you go play while I get you both some snacks?"

She nodded eagerly and ran off after pecking her mother's cheek.

Anika shook her head, the brightest grin on her face and got up. She made her way into the kitchen to make some peanut butter and jelly for her little Ava and Wolverine's most favorite thing in the whole wide world after puppuccino, carrot boiled in chicken stock.

"Ah, I see that you are busy." Anika paused, closing her eyes when she heard the voice of the person that she probably hated the most in the whole wide world.

"Did you want something, Rubina?" She turned to her grandmother-in-law, pursing her lips.

"Well, this old lady could use some ginger tea." She said, her tone mocking.

Anika nodded, turning back to the stove.

"You know you will never be good enough for my grandson, right?"

Anika sighed. Of course, the woman was here to taunt and talk bullshit. She knew that she should stand up for herself, especially now that Gregory had made it clear that he was not going to let anyone take Ava from her, but she couldn't help but wish that Joanne was here. Only she could talk to this old hag in her own language.

But alas she was not home so Anika really had to deal with it herself. She turned back to the old lady and raised a brow. "I don't think he is any more human than I am, Rubina."

Rubina let out a conceited, ridiculous laugh, looking at Anika as if she was some vile creature. "I see that you have grown a tongue now."

Anika didn't find it necessary to respond to her. She wasn't one to start a spite. And she needed to get to her child too, who was waiting for her upstairs.

She turned back around, turning off the stove now that the carrots were cooked. "I will bring you your tea."

"I am not done talking to you!" Rubina bellowed.

"Jeez, what's with the noise pollution?"

The two women instantly looked over at the doorway to find Joanne with Ava in her arms, both looking between Anika and Rubina confused.

"Just family drama." Rubina stated, moving towards her 'favorite' granddaughter-in-law and taking Ava from her arms.

"Bring my tea to my room." She said pointedly at Anika and walked away.