Something To Protect

Sam and Colby had just finished a late night band rehearsal. They were going to a competition in a couple of days and their band teacher had them practicing around the clock. Sam and Colby hadn't been friends for long at this point, only a couple of months. They connected over the drummer girl in their band, whom they both had a crush on. They had just finished changing back into their regular clothes and grabbing their things and were making their way to the parking lot, when they were suddenly cornered by Chad Lopez and his friends. Chad was one of the school jocks, who for some reason, had a vendetta against Colby. Chad had been tormenting him for a while now. Colby was only sorry Sam had to be dragged into this with him. Even just being friends with Colby now made him one of Chad's targets.

" Well well," said Chad. " Look at that, the band nerd made a friend."

" Leave us alone, Chad," said Colby, shyly.

" Or what?" asked Chad. " What are you gonna do? Go tell your mommy?" Chad's friends laughed with him.

Colby attempted to walk past Chad, but Chad pushed him back. Chad's friends grabbed Colby's clarinet case and pushed it away, then did the same with Sam's saxophone case. Colby attempted to punch Chad, but he easily dodged. Chad was way more built than Colby, and he had him on the ground in two seconds flat. Chad kicked him on the ground, and laughed when Colby groaned. Then he made his way over to his friends, and helped them push Sam around.

They laughed as Sam attempted to flee the middle of the circle, but Chad and his friends had him surrounded. Colby watched as they pushed Sam too hard, accidently slamming him into the brick wall of the school. They all watched stunned as Sam's head hit the wall and he fell to the ground, knocked out cold. Colby's eyes went wide.

" Shit!" said Chad's friend. " Is he dead?"

" He better not be," said Chad, worried. They all turned and looked at Colby, and backed away when they saw the look in his eyes. In all of Chad's years of bothering Colby, this was a side of him that Chad had never seen, until now and it was scary! Chad knew at that moment that he had messed up, big time!

" Dude, Colby, that was an accident," said Chad, throwing his hands up in defense. " C'mon, we were just messing around!"

Colby quickly stood up and marched furiously towards them. " Now, you've crossed the line!!!" said Colby.

" Colby, listen," said Chad. "I'm sorry, okay!"

Colby took Chad by the collar of his shirt, scrunching it in his fist and threw him roughly against the wall. He looked Chad straight in the eyes.

" Fucking touch him again," started Colby. " I'll fucking end you!"

For the first time in years, Chad actually believed Colby. " Su-sure," said Chad. " Whatever you say, man."

Colby let Chad drop to the ground. " Now get lost!" he said.

Seeing how serious Colby was, Chad's friends helped him up and they hurriedly took off. Colby rushed quickly to Sam's side as he heard him groan.

" Sam?" asked Colby, shaking him gently. " Sam, are you okay?"

" Ugh, my head!" said Sam. He looked around slowly. "Where's Chad?"

" Don't worry," said Colby. " He won't be bothering us again, I promise." Colby gently helped Sam to his feet.

" You stood up to Chad Lopez?" asked Sam.

" Yea," said Colby.

" And walked away?" asked Sam. " Alive?"

" Yep!" said Colby.

" How?" asked Sam.

" I can be intimidating when I want to be," said Colby.

" Since when?" laughed Sam.

Colby paused. " Since I met you," he answered. Sam looked at him, surprised. " I guess I found the courage," said Colby, " because for the first time in my life... I had something to protect."

Sam smiled widely at Colby, and gave him a playful punch on the arm. Colby smiled back at him. This was the moment that Sam and Colby both knew, that this was the beginning of a beautiful friendship and that they were gonna be best friends for life.

For the first time, even after only two months, Colby had really felt what it was like to deeply care about a friend. A feeling he had never known before. This time, Chad had crossed the line. He could mess with Colby all he wanted, but this time, he made the mistake of messing with Sam, and well, that was the last thing Colby was gonna let happen. Ever.