The Empath

A/N Another Protective Sam. Based on The Sallie House video it seems like Sam accidentally got something attached to him, but what if it wasn't an accident? ;)

The Sallie House was easily becoming some of the best footage Sam and Colby had ever captured. They had invited a medium in to do some readings on the house and Sam examined her radiation detector. Sam jokingly held the radiation detector to Colby's forehead. He and Colby both laughed awkwardly as it began to beep.

"Oh My God!" said Sam, as he and Colby laughed nervously. "Are you haunted bro?"

"I'm standing over here," laughed Colby nervously.

A couple of hours later, they had caught some crazy shit. Colby nervously walked up to Sam as Seth and Nate left the room.

"Do you seriously think one of them moved the 8-ball? asked Colby. " It wasn't Sallie?"

" I honestly don't know," said Sam, " I feel like we would've heard it."

" We were all screaming though," said Colby. "The medium said that the spirit can attach itself to an empath. Do you think maybe one of us did it unknowingly?"

"Dude, don't even joke about that," said Sam.

" Like seriously how do you explain that?" said Colby. " And how do you explain the meter beeping next to my head?"

"That was just a coincidence bro," said Sam.

"What if it wasn't?" asked Colby.

" Dude, that's not funny! Stop!" said Sam.

" Okay, I'm sorry." said Colby,he turned and walked out of the room.

"Colby..." started Sam, but his best friend was already gone.

Sam followed Colby downstairs, to begin the birthday party they were going to throw for Sallie. The whole night Sam had acted like everything was fine, like nothing had happened. He contemplated telling Colby, telling all of them, but they would never stop trying to help him if he had told him what he had done.

1 hour earlier...

Sam really wanted to understand what it was they were talking to. He decided they should break out the spirit box and quickly went downstairs to get it while Nate, Colby and Seth waited upstairs. Sam dug through his bag, looking for the spirit box when out of the corner of his eye, he saw it, the eightball by the stairs. Before he could say anything, a spirit manifested before him. Sam's eyes grew wide as the spirit of a little girl stood staring at him. It looked exactly like the little girl he had seen in the pictures around the house, he knew who this was. It was Sallie.

"You're not Colby!" she said, almost angry.

" How...how is this?" asked Sam. Was he seriously talking to a ghost?

" I want out," interrupted Sallie. "Out of this house"

" So then leave," said Sam.

" Don't toy with me mortal!" said Sallie, her face turning into a sinister grin.

Sam stumbled back. Suddenly, he heard Colby's voice from upstairs.

" Sam, is everything okay?" asked Colby. "Need a hand?"

" No, no!" replied Sam, trying to sound calm. " Just stay upstairs, I'll be right there."

"That's Colby!" said Sallie, now in her little girl voice. " I don't usually like boys, but I like Colby. I like him very much."

" You won't go anywhere near him!" said Sam sternly.

Sallie laughed. It sounded exactly like the laugh they had heard earlier. " I already have," she said.

Sam stared at her curiously, then it dawned on him. "That's why it picked up radiation on him earlier," said Sam.

" He's the perfect way for me to get out," said Sallie. "I need to attach myself to an empath, and he's perfect!"

" You can't do that!" said Sam.

" I can!" said Sallie, "and I will! You can't stop me!"

Sam approached her nervously. " You're right, I can't," he said. " But you need an empath to get out, right? Use me."

"You?" asked Sallie. "Are you sure that's what you want?"

"You have to promise me you won't hurt them." said Sam.

" I promise, I won't hurt them," said Sallie. " But you? That's a different story."

Sam hesitated at this comment. "Do it!" he said. 

Sallie looked at him curiously. She slowly walked over to Sam and grabbed his hand in her small one, grasping it tightly, as if checking to make sure he was real. She looked up at him with bright eyes, and Sam stumbled back once more as Sallie attached herself to him. He felt a surge go through him, like he had been punched in the gut. He steadied himself against the edge of the table, breathing heavily. He looked around him and saw no sign of Sallie. Suddenly, he heard her voice, almost as if it was inside his head.

" Thank You, Sam," said Sallie.

Sam stared in disbelief. He had let a ghost attach themself to him? Was he crazy, stupid, both? He wasn't either of those things. He was an empath, and he was compassionate. He did it because he cared. He was not about to let Colby do something like this, not after everything Colby had done for him, how many times Colby had risked his life for him.

Sam carried on as if nothing had happened. He pretended to only just notice the 8-ball. He yelled up to Colby to alert him and others. They had reviewed the footage and saw that it was Seth that had accidentally kicked the 8-ball down the stairs, and that is what Sam let them all believe, even though he knew the truth. Sallie had attached herself to all of them at one point, that time, it was Seth. She had been checking them all, watching them to see which one would be the perfect vessel for her, and she had decided on Colby. He was the most empathetic out of them all, no matter what he said. He was always so humble, it's what Sam admired about him.

But Sam couldn't let her take him. He wouldn't. It was his turn to protect Colby for once. He knew it was going to be hard to keep this a secret from everyone, especially Colby, but he had to, for all of them. If only they knew.

And so he kept filming, right until the morning. He had to play it cool and act like he couldn't feel the scratches on his neck that Colby had pointed out. He had to act like his rising temperature was completely just out of the blue, but he knew, that these were all side effects of what he had done.

They had caught some awesome stuff and left the next morning, forever remembering their crazy night, but what the rest of them didn't know was that they were leaving with a permanent souvenir of the Sallie House, even if at that moment, they couldn't see it. 

Sam followed his friends out the front door. He turned to look at the house once more, wondering how different the house would be now that Sallie was gone. Would anyone notice? These were all questions he would probably never get answers to.

" Hey Sam," shouted Colby from the car. " You coming, man?"

Sam turned to face him and smiled. " Yea, I'm coming," he said.

 He slowly walked over and joined Colby and his other friends in the car as they waved goodbye to Mary Jane and Sallie for good...or so they thought. 

The End