What Really Happened

Sam, Colby and their friends Josh and Seth were currently staying over in the most haunted castle in America, The Wilson Castle. Their guides Steve and Dylan from Haunted Nights were just getting ready to head out and leave them for the rest of the night.

"Hey guys," started Steve. " Just a heads up, sometimes the housekeeper shows up unannounced, so don't be alarmed if you see someone here later."

" Unless of course it's a ghost, then be alarmed," laughed Dylan.

" Thanks for the heads up," said Sam. " Goodnight guys."

They waved good-bye to Steve and Dylan, played some pool and then finally turned in for the night around 2:30am. Around 4am Colby woke up after tossing and turning for a while. He turned his head towards his best friend who was asleep beside him.

"Hey Sam," said Colby.

"You can't sleep either?" asked Sam.

"No," said Colby. " What about Josh and Seth?"

" They're out cold," laughed Sam.

" I'm gonna go for a walk," said Colby.

" I'll come with you," said Sam. They walked downstairs and were suddenly startled by a woman in the foyer.

" Oh, hello," she said.

" Hi," said Colby. " You must be the housekeeper,"

"Yes, my name is Helen," she said.

" I'm Colby," he said, "and this is my friend Sam."

"Let me guess," she started. " You boys can't sleep?"

" We can't," said Sam.

" Would you like some tea?" asked Helen. " I just put on a fresh pot."

" That would be great," said Colby. "Thanks."

They followed Helen into the kitchen and she fixed them both a cup of tea. They chatted with her for a little as she tended to various things around the kitchen. Sam and Colby were feeling a bit better, but still weren't feeling any tired than they did before.

" Mind if we walk around?" asked Colby.

" Not at all," said Helen. " Just be careful."

Sam and Colby eyed each other suspiciously but brushed it off as they left the kitchen. They walked around different parts of the castle, trying to occupy themselves by looking at the art and decorations. They considered going to grab the camera, but there wasn't anything super interesting to film at the moment. They then reached a small library and Colby plopped down on a fancy chair while Sam skimmed the shelves. He took a book and started to flip through. Uninterested, he put it back in its place and heard a click. Colby's head shot up.

"Did you hear that?" asked Colby.

" Yea, it sounded like a latch," said Sam.

Sam and Colby knew there were several secret passageways hidden in the castle, but they never imagined finding one would be this easy.

" A bookshelf? Really?" said Colby, unimpressed.

" Where's the door?" said Sam.

" Help me move this," said Colby.

Sam and Colby both went to one side of the shelves and pushed hard. Behind the bookshelf was a small door, Colby wrenched it open and it opened with a creek.

"Sam, run upstairs and grab the camera and a flashlight," said Colby.

"Should I wake up the others?" asked Sam.