Sam and Colby vs. The World

Sam and Colby had been driving in Alaska at night when they ran out of gas. They had documented most of their journey but now the camera was slowly dying and they decided to turn it off for the night. They had been on their way back from the abandoned ghost town when the car suddenly slowed and came to a stop. Sam and Colby didn't have a signal on their phones so the only thing they could do was wait, hoping Nate, who had been driving with other guys, would find them. The two of them had a thermos of hot chocolate and a backpack full of supplies that they had made sure to pack. To pass the time, the boys decided to play a game of truth or dare.

" I dare you," started Colby, " to take off your jacket, get out of the car and run as far as you can and then come back."

Sam looked outside the window beside him, snow was falling fast and he could hear the fierce winds blowing.

" Yea, I'm gonna pass," said Sam.

"Wuss!" laughed Colby.

" How about you do it then?" retorted Sam.

" Okay, fine," said Colby.

" No Colby, I didn't mean that," said Sam.

" No, it's cool, I got it," said Colby, opening the door to the van.

" Dude, you're insane," said Sam. " At least take a backpack with you."

" Sam, would you relax," said Colby. " I'm not gonna go that far."

" Colby, I'm serious," said Sam. " Get back in the car."

" Okay mom," laughed Colby, slamming the door shut as he ran into the cold abyss.

" God dangit Colby," said Sam, annoyed. He grabbed a backpack and followed Colby out of the car.

Sam sprinted in the direction that Colby went, shielding his eyes from the storm outside. He came upon Colby making snow angels. He laughed at Colby in the snow and then turned to look around. He felt like he was being watched. Colby quickly stood up and shook the snow off of him as he shivered.

" Brrrr," said Colby. "What a rush!" He turned around to face Sam, and what he was not expecting to see was his best friend being stared down by a snarling wolf. Sam was slowly backing away as the wolf snarled and stared him down. Colby looked towards Sam.

" Sam," said Colby panicked.

" Colby, don't move," said Sam, putting his hand out to keep Colby where he was. Sam was slowly backing away. " I'll keep him here, you see if you can get back to the car."

" No Sam, I'm not leaving you," said Colby.

Sam continued to back away and then accidentally fell. This was when the wolf pounced. Narrowly missing Sam's face, the wolf pounced on top of Sam, who shielded his face with his arms. He screamed as the wolf scratched at his arms, and attempted to bite him. The wolf then clawed at Sam's legs, swiping at him. Sam screamed as the claws dug into his skin. The wolf only stopped when it was knocked off of its feet by a snowball that Colby had thrown. The wolf now trained itself on Colby, advancing slowly. Colby kept throwing snowballs, keeping the wolf back. He hurled a thick piece of ice at it and it finally backed off, whimpered and ran away.

Colby rushed over to Sam, he knelt beside him. The wolf had been able to claw through Sam's clothing and Colby could see the blood from his leg seeping into the snow.

" Shit! This isn't good," said Sam, wincing.

" We need to get back to the car," said Colby. " Sam, I need you to stand. I'll help you."

Sam's jacket was full of holes from the wolf clawing into it, to the point where it couldn't really do its job anymore. Colby slowly helped a limping Sam back to the car, leaning him against it as he tried to pull the door open. Forgetting that it locked automatically, Colby began fishing for the keys.