Choose Yourself

Inspired by a scene from a movie. It's called The Domestics (2018).

Los Angeles was in turmoil. Ever since the gangs took over, their city had turned almost Post-apocalyptic. Sam and Colby should've left when things started to get bad, like everyone had warned them to, but they didn't listen, and now that the gangs controlled all of Los Angeles, escaping was nearly impossible, especially for two social media influencers who had a heavy price on their heads ever since they went on the run.

When several gangs found out they were still in LA, the prices kept going up, it was rare to see social media influencers nowadays, which made them valuable. Sam and Colby had been planning their escape for weeks, it had been the perfect plan, but not nearly as perfect as the gang's ambushing abilities. They had been caught. Sam and Colby were kidnapped and taken to an abandoned bar, one that the most fearsome gang in LA, The Angels of Death, used as their base.

Sam and Colby were dragged through a crowd of people and forced into chairs. They sat at opposite ends, and two revolvers were set up in front of them. They knew what this gang did, and what they were in for. Of all the gangs to be ambushed by, why did it have to be them? One hand was tied down beside them, while the other one was shoved into a massive glove that was already wrapped around the revolver. Colby's hand was forced into it, and he screamed as they screwed his gloved hand to the trigger of the revolver. They did the same to Sam, and soon the leader of the gang started collecting wages from the people in the crowd.

The leader of the gang turned back to Sam and Colby. " My oh my," he said, " I didn't think my gang would be lucky enough to catch the famous YouTubers. Guess it's my lucky day."

The leader rested his hands on the table between Sam and Colby as his men put one bullet into both revolvers and spun them. Sam and Colby were breathing heavily, they saw the look of sadness and fear in each other's eyes.

"Here's how it works," said the leader. " On the count of 5, you both pull the trigger, if you don't, I'll keep doubling bullets for everytime you don't pull, and well, I think you can both figure out what happens then. Six rounds and you walk."

The leader turned back to the crowd. " Place your bets, we've got a brotherhood on the line."

"Sam, look at me," said Colby. " Point the gun down as far as you can and pull the trigger."

" Colby...I..." started Sam.

The leader began counting down and the crowd joined in.

" 5, 4, 3, 2," they shouted.

" WAIT!" said Colby.

The leader turned to face Colby. " What have you got for me, boy?" he asked.

" A wager," said Colby.

The crowd fell silent. "I'm listening," said the leader.

" You put 3 bullets in Sam's gun, and we walk in two," said Colby.

" Colby, No! No!" shouted Sam.

The leader stared at Colby. " Ok," he said. " 3 bullets for Sam, and 1 for you. Two rounds and you walk."

Other gang members added 3 more bullets to Sam's gun and 1 more to Colby's. They gave each another spin, and stepped back. The leader began counting down once more.

"5,4,3,2,1," he said, along with the crowd.

Both boys pulled their triggers and nothing happened. They had survived one round, but they needed to survive one more. They readied themselves again, as they looked each other in the eyes, pleadingly and apologetically. The leader counted down once more and both boys pulled the trigger. On Sam's end nothing happened, but Sam's scream filled the bar as a bullet from Colby's gun went into his chest. The blood seeped through his shirt.

" NOOOOOO!" yelled Colby.

The crowd went wild as people collected their money. Colby was disgusted as he watched these people care more about money than about this person bleeding out in front of them. Colby pulled hard at the rope that tied his free hand beside him. He finally pulled it loose and snatched the leader's gun off of his belt. He shot him straight in the back and watched as he fell to the ground. He then shot the contraptions holding the revolvers in place, and they fell to the ground, freeing his other hand. Colby held the leader's gun tightly in his hands and shot anyone that dared step in his way. Thankfully, everyone was more preoccupied with the dead leader, the money or fleeing the scene that no one tried to stop them. Colby freed Sam, he threw Sam's arm over his shoulder and they both limped out. Colby helped Sam outside as he began to slip from consciousness, the nearest hospital was miles away, and Colby wasn't even sure there were doctors there anymore. He headed in that direction anyway, because it was his only choice. He stopped for a second as Sam began to slip.

"Colby," choked Sam. "Stop. Stop."

" We can't stop, we're almost there," said Colby. " We can make it."

" Colby please," said Sam. " Let's just...rest."

Colby reluctantly looked at Sam, and carefully led him into an abandoned building that he's sure was safe. He sat Sam up against the wall of the building, looking for anything he might be able to use to help Sam.

Sam began choking, and his breaths were falling short. Colby frantically continued to look around, as Sam held his wound, soaking his hand in red.

"Colby," said Sam. " Colby, come here." Sam reached his free hand out towards Colby. Colby immediately stopped what he was doing and grabbed Sam's hand, crouching down to meet his eye level.

" Listen Colby," said Sam, wincing, " I'm not gonna make it."

" Don't be silly," said Colby. " You can make it, we always make it."

"Colby, it's over for me," said Sam, " but it doesn't have to be for you."

Tears filled Colby's eyes as he realized what Sam was saying. " I can't leave you," said Colby.

" You have to," said Sam. " It's time."

" Sam, I'm sorry," said Colby. " I thought I could get us both out, I messed up, I'm so sorry."

Sam smiled. " You did what you thought was right," he said. " You always have. Ever since I've known you, you would always put others before yourself, and that, that takes so much courage. Colby, you are the bravest person I have ever met." Sam now had tears streaming down his face as he clutched Colby's hand.

Sam continued. " So, just this once, I'm asking you to be strong and to be brave enough to make the decision, to choose yourself this time."

Colby lowered his head as the tears began to fall.

"Colby look at me," choked Sam. " Do this for me, please!"

" Okay," sobbed Colby. " Okay."

Sam gave him a weak smile. " You are the best friend I could've ever asked for," he said. "I couldn't ask for a better person to be by my side in my last moments."

Colby's face was stained with tears.

" Promise me something," continued Sam.

" Anything," said Colby.

" Use this second chance at life, and make it count," said Sam. " Whatever happens, please don't seek revenge, don't let the anger and sadness consume you. I could never leave knowing that my death ruined you. Promise me, you'll stay strong."

Colby nodded his head. " I promise," sobbed Colby.

Sam smiled at Colby, and Colby smiled back through the tears as Sam's eyes closed and Colby felt Sam's hand go limp in his. Sam's head fell back against the wall, it fell to the side and his breathing came to a slow stop.

Colby let go of Sam's hand and took Sam's face between his hands. He touched his forehead to Sam's as a final goodbye. It took all of Colby's willpower to finally leave that building, he would've stayed for hours had he not made Sam a promise. Colby left in tears, slipping Sam's silver ring onto his finger, matching the gold one he had on his other hand, as a symbol and reminder of the promise he made, to start a new life and to always make it count.