The Promise

Shoutout to @changlixisreal0905 for the oneshot request/idea! :)

Sam quietly walked down the hall to his locker, putting away his textbooks. Sam dreaded the end of the school day, because he had to deal with Dylan Sanchez, a fellow senior who had been bullying him since the beginning of the year. 

It was moments like this when Sam wished Colby was still here. Colby was super smart and so he had skipped freshman year and went right to sophomore year. Colby had graduated last year from Blue Valley High, Sam didn't graduate until next year. Colby had almost refused to skip a year because it meant that he and Sam wouldn't graduate together, but Sam had assured him it was okay. Sam wanted Colby to take this opportunity if it was something he really wanted to do.

When the final bell rang, Sam decided to sneak out a different exit to avoid Dylan and his friends. Sam hoisted his book bag onto his back and discreetly made his way to the exit at the other end of the school. Sam walked home, so he didn't have to worry about catching a bus. Sam took a quick look out the doors of the school to make sure the coast was clear and then made his way towards the sidewalk. Sam thought he had made it, but he was suddenly yanked by his book bag and thrown against the brick wall of the school.

"Where do you think you're going, Golbach?" asked Dylan. "Were you trying to avoid me? That's rude!"

Dylan punched Sam in the stomach. Sam hunched over in pain, as he looked up, Dylan punched him straight in the eye. When Sam fell to the ground, Dylan and his friends continued to beat Sam up, not caring about the groans of pain coming from the boy. Dylan had tried to deliver a final punch when someone caught his fist mid air. Jake Webber. 

Jake and Corey were two of Sam's roommates and good friends. They stepped between Sam and Dylan.

Dylan laughed. " You're off the hook this time Golbach. See you on Monday."

Jake and Corey stayed in front of Sam, waiting until Dylan and his friends were a good distance away from the school. Jake and Corey quickly and gently helped Sam up.

"Sam, are you okay?" asked Corey.

" That's a stupid question Corey," said Jake. "Of course he's not okay."

"Guys stop," said Sam, wincing in pain. There was a bruise beginning to form around his eye. He was for sure gonna have a black eye.

" Sam, why did Dylan beat you up?" asked Jake.

" Because he just does," said Sam.

" How long has this been going on?" asked Corey.

Sam hesitated to tell them, but he was basically caught anyway. There was no hiding it anymore.

" Since the beginning of the year," said Sam.

" The beginning of the year?!" said Jake, shocked. "You mean all of those times you said you got hurt in Track and Field? It was actually Dylan?"

"Yea," said Sam.

" Dude, why didn't you tell us?" asked Corey.

" Cause I knew if you found out, you'd tell Colby," said Sam, " and you can't tell Colby."

" Why not?" asked Corey.

" Because we all know what he's like," said Sam. " Someone would get hurt. I don't want anyone to get hurt."

" Dude, they're bullying you," said Jake. " We have to tell someone."

" No!" said Sam worriedly. " You can't tell anybody. It'll just make the situation worse. Okay? Promise me?"

"Sam," said Jake.

"Promise me," said Sam. "Both of you."

" Okay, I promise," said Corey.