Face Your Phobia

Spooky season was Sam and Colby's favorite time of year. They had both been invited to Universal Studios to test out a new haunted house for their Halloween Horror Nights. It was a house/challenge called Face Your Phobia. 15 different rooms with 15 different phobias. The goal was to see how far you could make it before your phobia got the best of you. However, you weren't going to know what phobias were in there. You were essentially going in blind, which made it even scarier. No one had yet to make it to level 15, but Colby was determined. Based on your results and how far you make it, you determine what your greatest phobia is. Sam had gone first. Colby and a few fans waited outside for Sam and saw as he progressed through the rooms. He suddenly stepped out of the exit at door Number 13. He had been only 2 levels away. Sam caught his breath and he received a certificate with his phobia on it.

"Dude, you were so close," said Colby. "What got you?"

" Room 13," said Sam. " Claustrophobia."

"Damn," said Colby.

One of the employees came over to them as they stood talking.

"Colby, your turn," said the employee.

"Wish me luck," said Colby.

"Good luck," said Sam.

Colby entered the house as several fans and Sam cheered him on. Colby had everything thrown at him, dolls, ghosts, spiders, snakes, drowning, you name it, it was there, and it all felt so real, even though Colby knew it wasn't. The employees could see him on the camera from their tech room and they radioed their employee out front.

" Wow!," said the employee. " He just made it to Room 14. He might actually do it."

" Oh my god! No way!" said Sam.

"C'mon, let's go wait for him at the Level 15 exit, we can watch from there," she said.

"Sounds good," said Sam, as he followed the employee to a secluded area.

Colby's heart was racing as he stepped through the door with Number 15 written on it. He had made it to the final level. Colby entered the room and waited. He was expecting something or someone to pop out, maybe jumpscare him, but nothing happened.

Several lights turned on in the room and there was a singular TV hanging on the wall of the room. The TV turned on and it was all static but then, it showed a singular image. It was a video. Colby's eyes went wide as the camera zoomed in on the face of his best friend. Sam was tied to a chair and gagged as he looked terrified into the camera. This was impossible. Colby had been talking to Sam moments ago. He was fine. He wasn't kidnapped. Had they been tricked? Again?

" Hey, what is this?" shouted Colby. " Don't hurt him!"

Colby was completely ignored. Colby didn't want to believe this was real but he didn't understand how it could be faked. Sam even had the same outfit on. He watched as the camera zoomed out again and now a person in a mask was standing behind Sam. The person took a large knife out from behind their back and held it to Sam's neck and Colby watched as Sam began to panic. Sam had tears streaming down his face as he looked pleadingly into the camera, almost as if he knew Colby was watching.

Colby had to look away when this person slit Sam's throat and blood splattered everywhere, and Sam twitched and coughed as the blood seeped down the front of him, covering his neck and torso. Colby had his eyes shut tight, hoping it was all a dream, but when he opened them again, Sam's lifeless and bloody body was still twitching in the chair. The screen went black and Colby fell to his knees in tears. He was panting heavily, trying to catch his breath and his heart felt as if it was going to burst out of his chest with how fast it was going. Suddenly, he heard a voice echoing throughout the room.

"Level 15. Failed," said the voice.

Colby quickly got up and made his way towards the exit. He was about ready to lose it at these people but was shocked when he opened the door to exit and Sam was there to greet him. Colby raced over to him and hugged him tightly. Sam was confused but happily hugged him back.

" Colby, are you okay?" asked Sam.

" Yeah, but I didn't make it," said Colby.

" Hey don't sweat it, you at least made it to the last level," said Sam. " What got you?"

Colby didn't get to answer as one of the employees came up to him and handed him his certificate with his phobia written on it.

" You're the first one to get this phobia," said the employee. " We're not even really sure what it means."

Colby looked at the ticket closely. Thanatophobia was written in giant letters.

" Thanatophobia? What's that?" asked Sam.

" It's the fear of losing someone you love," said one of the other employees.

Sam looked at Colby, seeing that he practically had tears in his eyes. Colby refused to talk about what he had seen during the 15th level, and Sam wasn't one to push. Colby still didn't know how they did it, but this was definitely one phobia he had faced too many times and he never wanted to face it again. 

Clayborn arc finale coming next week. Peace :). 

-J