Whatever It Takes

" How is this possible?" asked Colby.

" It's hard to explain over the phone," explained Sam W. " How fast can you two get back to Kansas?"

" We'll be on the next flight," said Colby, hanging up the phone.

Sam smiled at him." Colby, this is great news," said Sam. " It can finally end."

" Yea, I guess so," said Colby.

Sam could sense the hesitation in Colby's voice. " Do you still want to get rid of it?" he asked.

"Dave was right," said Colby. " My protection and power would be gone. I'd be easier to kill, but it would free both of us from the burden, so yes, he needs to go."

" You're sure?" asked Sam.

Colby smiled. " Yes," he said.

" Alright then, back to Kansas," said Sam.

Sam and Dean picked the boys up at the airport when they arrived in Kansas the next day and they were eager to hear what the brothers had found. They had agreed not to say anything until they got back to the bunker, where it was safer. Once they arrived, Sam and Colby sat across the table from the brothers.

" I don't understand," said Colby. " I thought Dean said the only way to get rid of him permanently was to drain Sam of his blood."

Sam W hesitated to answer. " Well, it is," he said.

" Then we're not doing it," said Colby.

" Let him finish," said Dean.

" Even if we drain Sam of his blood, he won't die," explained Sam W. " We think your soul will protect him."

" Wait, what do you mean?" asked Sam G.

" Colby's soul is special," explained Sam W. " We don't know if it's because of his Dark Prince or because he's an empath, but something about your soul is different then the rest."

" Wish we would've known that before he gave it up," said Sam G.

" I would've done it either way," said Colby.

Sam sent him a small smile and then turned back to the brothers.

" Exactly how does this work?" asked Sam G.

" It's a blood transfusion," said Dean. " We transfer all of your blood into Colby. Even though you're drained, you won't die, Colby's soul will keep you alive."

" Say it does work, what happens after?" asked Colby.

" Sam will be able to live a completely regular life," explained Dean. " Except, your soul will be the only thing keeping him alive. You'd still be capable of getting hurt, feeling pain, but you wouldn't bleed. You'd pretty much be immortal."

" Pretty much?" questioned Sam G.

"If someone were to figure out how to taint or destroy that piece of Colby's soul living inside you, it would kill you," explained Sam W.

" These things always come with a catch," said Dean.

" But other than that, it would work, you'd be free and still be able to live a normal life," said Sam W.

" What do you think, Colby?" asked Sam G.

" No," said Colby. " It's too risky. I'm sorry we had to come all the way out here for such a short reunion, but we need to find a different way."

Colby got up and made his way back to the room they had given him in the bunker. Sam G quickly chased after him.

" Colby, wait!" yelled Sam. Colby turned to face him. " We finally have a chance to get rid of this thing, we need to take it."