The Choice

The flight back to Vegas had been a long one. Sam was doing his best to adjust but Colby could tell everything was hard on him. He was thankful when they had made it back to their house. A few days later, a professional came in to talk to Sam, and she brought a cane with her. Sam had been practicing for a long time, thinking the cane would be the better fit, but he was struggling with it. Colby watched him and could see Sam getting frustrated.

" I think I'm done for today," said Sam.

" Don't worry if you don't get used to it right away," said the woman. " It takes time."

" Thank you for the help," said Sam.

The woman then packed up her things and Colby caught her on the way out.

" Is there anything I can do for him?" asked Colby. " I just feel so useless."

" It's quite an adjustment," explained the woman. " It's essentially like he has to relearn how to do everything again, but with practice it will come. He should be able to carry on with a normal life but he needs to practice and understand that things just might be a little different now. If he works at it, the faster it will go. The best thing for you to do is help him, but also encourage him to try things on his own, don't let him give up when he gets frustrated. It will really help."

" Thank you," said Colby.

" Take care," said the woman.

Colby went to make Sam some food. He then went to the living room where Sam was sitting on the couch. He looked at the news story playing on the TV. They had found Sierra's body. It was the breaking news on every channel. No one was sure how she died but most people were convinced it was a suicide, others weren't so sure. Colby was hoping it would stay that way.

" I've got some good news for you," said Colby. " Sierra's been arrested. She won't be bothering us again."

" What about Naomi?" asked Sam.

" They haven't found her," said Colby, " but I'm sure they will soon."

Colby had some food in his hand and he let Sam know that he was gonna hand him some food, but he wouldn't take it.

"Sam, please," said Colby. " I'm trying to help you but I need you to work with me, man."

" I'm not hungry," said Sam.

" Sam," said Colby.

" I wanna be alone," said Sam.

" No," said Colby. " You're struggling and I wanna help you. I'm not gonna abandon you, you wouldn't abandon me. You can't keep shutting me out."

" There's nothing you can do for me, Colby," said Sam. " Everyone keeps telling me that if I practice and readjust that everything will go back to normal but they're wrong. Things will never be normal for me again. I've ruined everything."

" No you didn't," said Colby. " No part of this was your fault, we'll make it work."

" I really just want to be alone," said Sam.

Colby sighed in defeat. He then got up and began to walk away when Sam suddenly spoke.

" It wasn't your fault you know," said Sam. " Sierra blinded me way before you found me. I think it had been her plan all along."

Colby stopped in his tracks and looked back at Sam. He smiled.

" Thanks," said Colby.

" I'm proud of you by the way," said Sam.

" For what?" asked Colby.

" For keeping your promise," said Sam. " I know it must've been hard."

Colby needed to be careful with how he responded. He didn't want Sam to catch on to anything.